4l80e to 4l60e vortec 5.7 in s10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I put a vortec 5.7 and its computer out of a 96 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 into my s10. Motor and computer used to be connected to a 4l80e. I swapped in a 4l60e out of a 96 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd. Wiring harness is from Howell EFI for my application. Reflashed the computer and no codes or errors. Motor runs fine but can't get the trans to shift correctly even trying to use the shifter through gears manually. Had trans rebuilt still the same. Is this computer not compatible with this trans? Idk what else to try.

Thanks
Daniel

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a vortec 5.7 and its computer out of a 96 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 into my s10. Motor and computer used to be connected to a 4l80e. I swapped in a 4l60e out of a 96 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd. Wiring harness is from Howell EFI for my application. Reflashed the computer and no codes or errors. Motor runs fine but can't get the trans to shift correctly even trying to use the shifter through gears manually. Had trans rebuilt still the same. Is this computer not compatible with this trans? Idk what else to try.

Thanks
Daniel

You probably need to get a black box from a 96 5.7/4l60e truck, or get yours tuned. The transmission segments are definitely different.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did have it tuned. But he says he doesnt see anything to make any difference from 4l80 to 4l60
The biggest obvious difference is one of the shift solenoids is inverted on a 4L60E compared to a 4L80E. Meaning the same program will not run both. The transmission segment needs to be swapped to one for a 4L60E. If your S10 is 2wd it also needs to be for 2wd.

Reaction score
So looking around, there is alot of info to repin the harness if you are swapping from a 4l60e to a 4l80e. But what if your computer used to run a 4l80e and your harness is set up for a 4l60e? Is it possible that I just need to repin a few wires at the computer? You said one shift solenoid is inverted. Do I just swap the wires to make that solenoid work properly for my application?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
So looking around, there is alot of info to repin the harness if you are swapping from a 4l60e to a 4l80e. But what if your computer used to run a 4l80e and your harness is set up for a 4l60e? Is it possible that I just need to repin a few wires at the computer? You said one shift solenoid is inverted. Do I just swap the wires to make that solenoid work properly for my application?
If your new harness is set up for your 4L60e, then you MUST have a PCM segment for the 4L60e - no amount of repinning will allow an 80e segment to operate a 60e. They have to match. An 80e is totally different in the ways mentioned before plus it uses both an input and output speed sensor unlike the 60e.