4l80e swapping my K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NWDATTOFREAK

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and new to owning a GM pickup. I recently aquired a 1994 k1500; super clean truck apart from the tailgate and very well taken care of. 383 crate engine, ~7" of lift, 35s, and I nice stereo. Unfortunately... it has a 4L60e transmission, probably wouldn't be an issue, but my significant other loves to drive the truck when I am out of town crushing rock (I can't tell her no...), she drove the pickup for about 300 miles in O.D. on a very hilly trip north, transmission now groans and moans and is starting to slip... rather than dump money into a rebuild and performance parts for the 60 that are liable to fail again, I want to go with a better base for a transmission.

I am very experienced in SWAPPING transmissions, I've done several NV4500 replacements (with a friend I can do the swap in under an hour), however automatic transmissions are witchcraft inside the case as far as I'm concerned, so rebuilding it myself is a poor option. I would like to swap an almost brand new 4l80e (came out of a '94) I recently traded for some tires into the pickup. Moving the transmission back and mounting it with shorter/longer drivelines is not an issue for me, I need to know if there is anything I'm missing from my list of parts or any roadblocks I may face aside from some plugs
01. 4L80E Transmission,Torque Converterand transfer case adapter
02. 4L80EFlywheel
03. 241 Transfer case w/larger input shaft
04. transfercase Linkage Rod from 4L80E
05. Rear Drive shaft SHORTENED 1 5-8"
06. Front Drive shaft LENGTHENED 1-5/8"
07.Wiring Harness
08. VCM
09. Computer Tune Depends on the Year of the 2 trucks
10. Transmission Shiftercable BRACKETthe cable will work
11.Transmission Mount
12. Transmission cooler lines

Guy who made that list made the swap out to be a swap I could just about do overnight. Other people have gone so far as to tell me the internals of the transmission are not compatible with the truck ( whatever the hell that means?)

Thanks for the reads and if you can offer any pointers it would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
That list looks good. The wiring harness can actually be modified to work from the 60 to the 80. I thought the mount was the same as well? There will be holes in the frame for the crossmember to bolt to already.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I would add a new range selector switch and wiring plug for it, they don't like to come apart that nice, even with a heat gun.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would add a new range selector switch and wiring plug for it, they don't like to come apart that nice, even with a heat gun.

Dont take the plugs out. Unbolt the switch file the stem enough to slide it off its 2 13mm bolts. Just for the record no way i would trade a 3.06 1st gear for a 2.48. Can you say sluggish of the line.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Dont take the plugs out. Unbolt the switch file the stem enough to slide it off its 2 13mm bolts. Just for the record no way i would trade a 3.06 1st gear for a 2.48. Can you say sluggish of the line.
So you're saying you would rather have a 60e in a lifted truck with a 383 over an 80e?

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes but a built 60 not a factory one you get a much lower 1st gear that way. And if you have the budget you can get one that will 1200hp as long as you stay under 6800rpms. Which means that 383 cant think about hurting it. Problem is finding a builder that will actually put the parts in it not just say they do

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

350k1500

Reaction score
So I'm new to this but I'm swapping a 4l80e into a 1996 k1500 because the 60e took a **** how do i modify the wiring harness to work with the 80e?
Thanks in advanced

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I'm new to this but I'm swapping a 4l80e into a 1996 k1500 because the 60e took a **** how do i modify the wiring harness to work with the 80e?
Thanks in advanced

You'll need to move a few wires around and add two wires straight to the PCM for the input speed sensor on the 80E (which the 60Es did not have). Info on the trans plug side can be found in this link, but ignore the pinout info for the PCM. They're talking about the newer LS PCMs. To find out what connector/pins you'll need to add wires to at your PCM you'll need a factory service manual with the pinouts for your specific connectors.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

If you're not comfortable with moving the wires around at the plug yourself, or just want to simplify the process, Nelson Performance makes a 60E to 80E wiring conversion kit that simply plugs into your existing 4L60E harness and moves the necessary wires in a little 6" additional section of harness. They also include an input speed sensor harness with the wiring and pins necessary to run that to your PCM. I used their kit on my red '97 C1500 when I 80E swapped it and it worked great.

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/?page_id=850

I have a thread on that '97 C1500 60E to 80E swap here if you're looking for more info. You'll have to deal with some things I didn't due to the fact that your truck is 4WD, though.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-c1500-4l60e-to-4l80e-swap.38819/

NickG80

Reaction score
I’m in the process of doing this on a 97. This swap on a 94 would be different based on the TBI vs mine being a Vortec. But from what I’ve found. Crossmembers are the same, mounts are the same. The range switches are different! I’m working on drive shaft and cooler lines now hope to have it running this weekend!