4l80e swap transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sup everyone, doing a 4l80e swap on my 96 5.7. Want to put an aftermarket oil cooler for the trans but don’t know witch one. Plan on doing an ls2 swap in the next year or so but need to get it running soon (Driving a 370z in construction sucks). What’s a good cooler to put, or does anyone have any good references and reviews? Want to make as bulletproof as I can, will be beating on it for sure [emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tru-Cool M7B (in addition to the radiator cooler) is what I used for my 80E swap. 1/2" NPT threaded in and out so it's easy to find adapters for whatever line you want to use. Personally I went with Russell ProFlex -6AN braided. Best part about the M7B is that it fits in the factory location, using the factory mounting hardware. You just have to trim a couple inches off the mounting brackets.

Amazon link to the M7B:
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-M7B-ENGINE-OIL-COOLER/dp/B003TQ7WDA

Link to the tutorial thread for mounting it with the factory hardware:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-factory-auxiliary-trans-cooler-upgrade.18104/

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sickkkkk!!! I’m going to read more into that! Anybody got others??

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a Trucool 40K. It's huge but I plan on running a 3800 stall later on so wanted to be prepared.
Trans temps with a 2800 stall now it stays nice and cool.

http://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max

LPD47391 is the part number of the one I always use.

I've only used it down here in the south where the temps don't get near as cold as up north.
I don't run them through the radiator. Only stand alone.

100* day the trans temps usually stay around 135-140*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a Trucool 40K. It's huge but I plan on running a 3800 stall later on so wanted to be prepared.

I've only used it down here in the south where the temps don't get near as cold as up north.

What I’m trying to do, be prepared for the future. Ls2 is goal and don’t want to do this again lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Just curious, do you have any pictures of how you installed the 40K? I was considering one when I did my 80E swap, but I didn't really want to mess with relocating the horns or anything. The M7B is rated at a little over half of the cooling capacity of the 40K and is pretty much a direct drop-in.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I’m trying to do, be prepared for the future. Ls2 is goal and don’t want to do this again lol

Good deal.
I found you can't "over cool" a transmission. But you can sure over heat one.

I put over 200k miles on a factory 4l80e with a turbo 6.0. Towed alot and the right tune made all the difference along with the cooler.

Now I use that cooler on everything.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious, do you have any pictures of how you installed the 40K? I was considering one when I did my 80E swap, but I didn't really want to mess with relocating the horns or anything. The M7B is rated at a little over half of the cooling capacity of the 40K and is pretty much a direct drop-in.
I don't.
I took out the condenser and put a older model radiator in the truck. So I hung the cooler in front of that with the intercooler heat exchanger below the trans cooler.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to do AC in it for next year

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just reused the stock 60E cooler. Trans runs 160-180 in the summertime and 100-120 in the winter. You can definitely overcool a trans in the winter, mine is too cool and we don't even get real winters here. I think 150 is the sweet spot. It definitely shifts harder when it's that cold. I've towed my ~8500# 24' enclosed quite a bit with the 1500/4L80 and as long as the converter's locked, it pretty much never goes over 180 on a 90 degree summer day with the AC blasting away.

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal.
I found you can't "over cool" a transmission. But you can sure over heat one.

I put over 200k miles on a factory 4l80e with a turbo 6.0. Towed alot and the right tune made all the difference along with the cooler.

Now I use that cooler on everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870

Can’t tell if that sarcasms lol....but I just want to be prepared. Don’t want to dump another 1000$ on another rebuild that could hav been avoided