4L80e no reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Check out rear servo pin weld on youtube

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

About the time I think I've seen every red-neck half-ass shortcut, I find another treasure.

It's not like GM doesn't sell those pins in several lengths, along with the Kent-Moore special tool to determine the proper length pin required.

Reaction score
I have never disassembled a transmission before. I have done clutches in manuals. That fix worked for a few hundread miles. I am currently thinking reverse is out because of a worn band or maybe a leek in the transmission. I think leek maybe because there might not be enough fluid pressure to apply the lin to the band. I tried welding about an 1/8 again and still was like slipping. I tgen welded a whole 1/4 inch again and still slipping. I would not call my first attemp half ass because I tried to be professional with my shade tree mechanic setup as much as possible. I do not have a lift or garage to even work on my vehichles. I dod try to keep my part clean and inspect them for abnormal seals or damage. Do you have a 4l80e?

Reaction score
Anyone know if the band gets messed up if that means the drum it grabs gets messed up to?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a TH400 with a worn rear band, along with the surface it clamps against. Sure, the band and the mating surface can each/both wear out.

If the band slips, the metal it's clamped against can be damaged by excess heat as well.

Reaction score
Ok that sucks that happened to your TH400. I dont really know much about transmissions. I might start pulling one from a junkyard. I looked on rockauto and a new rear/reverse band is under fifty dollars. They do not sell the Reaction Carreir drum thing though. I feel like you would think that the drum being metal like a braje rotor would survive some heat. I guess brake rotors are not alway staying flat.
I also beleive this 91 4l80e may have been rebuilt at one point. When I was doing a tune up under the hood I saw a sticker that said GM goodwrench "I think" on top of the bellhouse. It said remanufactured.

Reaction score
I pulled the auto out of my truck today. I think I might open it up today. The dip stick was like the last thing to come off. I dont know it was a pain. I think I should have pulled it off before taking the transmission away from the motor. I might have damaged some things bringing the 4l80e down. I know I was hitting the cooler fitting pretty hard. I am happy to have it out though.

Reaction score
I opened it up. The carrier was messed up and so was the band.
You must be registered for see images attach