4L80E fluid quantity.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine - in the photos - is from a 1999 C2500 Suburban. Stuateng confirmed the gasket as original GM and that and the 40,000 mileage leads me to believe that this is the first time the pan has been removed. The truck came with a filter and gasket (but for a 4L60E) so fluid change was planned (before PO's other plans changed and they sold the truck).

The only thing I can add is that when I drained from above with a vacuum tool I marked (with a tywrap) the length of the dipstick and put the suction pipe down the same length. With the pan removed I could see it protruding downwards 1/4'' out of the dipstick tube. During draining when I pushed the suction pipe down a smidge further it was in contact with the pan (a raised portion in the corner just visible in the first photo I think) enough to block it.

Just can't get my head around filling it as per official GM manual can create an overfill.

I've never filled by a number, only by what the stick shows.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
-282 Automatic Transmission - 4L80-E Transmission/Transaxle

Fluid Capacity (On-Vehicle)
Application Liters Gallons
Overhaul 12.8 13.5
Pan Removal 7.3 7.7

Type Recommended Dexron® III T2620
Fluid Capacity (Overhaul)

Liters Quarts
(approximate)
Dry 12.8 13.5
Oil Pan Removal 7.3 7.7

Above from the manual. They got gallons and quarts muddled in the 'on-vehicle' part but litres and quarts are pretty much the same as each other.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks the same as my 00 K3500 Pinger...mine is an oily mess. I think my oil cooler lines are leaking ‍♂️.

The one I tore into recently is a '95 model, and does look just a tiny bit different, but really the same...

I don't think they made the "deep pan" vs "shallow pan" in the 4L80s, did they? Wasn't that just on the 60?

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never filled by a number, only by what the stick shows.

Thing is though, by the point that the level is correct, a little more oil shows up as a lot on the stick as the only place the excess can go is around the main body of the gearbox core.

In actual oil quantity I don't think I'm overfilled by much - but on the stick it looks massive.

I take your point about going by the stick but there's also the 'replace what you drained' school of thought. I have - to within 0.8l (0.85 US Qrts).

Just found this on the 'net >>
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At 6m 50s he checks the oil level - but doesn't insert the tube all the way. Not even to the neck - there's still steel showing. If I measured mine like that it'd probably be alright!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks the same as my 00 K3500 Pinger...mine is an oily mess. I think my oil cooler lines are leaking ‍♂️.

The one I tore into recently is a '95 model, and does look just a tiny bit different, but really the same...

I don't think they made the "deep pan" vs "shallow pan" in the 4L80s, did they? Wasn't that just on the 60?

Size wise they look the same - though a small depth is a lot of fluid at the base of the pan. There's a litre left below the level the drain plug can drain to.

Yours doesn't have the raised corner section and has the magnet in a different place. How much oil do you put in when changing?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait, you said the tranny came with a filter and gasket for a 60? You didn't install that filter did you? Maybe I misunderstood?

I'm not sure if they are the same?

I've never changed it on mine...and unfortunately, the 95 is getting installed in a week or 2, so I haven't filled it yet. I'd use Supercharged 111's advice on filling to the correct dipstick mark....

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thing is though, by the point that the level is correct, a little more oil shows up as a lot on the stick as the only place the excess can go is around the main body of the gearbox core.

In actual oil quantity I don't think I'm overfilled by much - but on the stick it looks massive.

I take your point about going by the stick but there's also the 'replace what you drained' school of thought. I have - to within 0.8l (0.85 US Qrts).

Just found this on the 'net >>
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At 6m 50s he checks the oil level - but doesn't insert the tube all the way. Not even to the neck - there's still steel showing. If I measured mine like that it'd probably be alright!

I think that video got cut off when the dipstick was getting inserted...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replacing what you took out. . . who's to say it was right to begin with? That's why I go by the stick.

This is basically my school of thought as well.

For what it's worth (this may just confuse things further) my junkyard 4L80E didn't take as much as the factory service manual said it would after I swapped it into my red truck.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait, you said the tranny came with a filter and gasket for a 60? You didn't install that filter did you? Maybe I misunderstood?

I'm not sure if they are the same?

I've never changed it on mine...and unfortunately, the 95 is getting installed in a week or 2, so I haven't filled it yet. I'd use Supercharged 111's advice on filling to the correct dipstick mark....

Spotted in time that the filter and gasket were wrong. Then waited for a correct filter which arrived in a gasket sized box but without the gasket. Another wait for a gasket (in case original GM wasn't there or unusable) hence filling the damned thing with the wrong quantity of oil in the middle of a hailstorm. Should have had this done weeks ago.