4L80E fluid quantity.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you mean by “note the correction made there…”?
I had initially (in that post) written that I removed 7 qrts but on re-reading the thread realised it had only been 5 litres so I edited the post to correct that, and mentioned the edit for anyone (you!) who had read it before the correction.
My point being, that although your 4 qrts is on the short side it is only around 1 qrt shy of what I removed which was the correct amount. Which is a whole lot better than being 3 qrts adrift which my pre-corrected post made it look like.

What condition is your removed fluid in? Does it look tortured or unscathed?

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the fluid looks good, but i replaced it on december.
the dipstick always read too low, and i can't drive 16 miles as the book says everytime i want to check the level. so i thought i'd drain it again, fill the book quantity and see immediately what the dipstick reads when the car is off and cold, then i would be able to check everytime in the future.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the fluid looks good, but i replaced it on december.
the dipstick always read too low, and i can't drive 16 miles as the book says everytime i want to check the level. so i thought i'd drain it again, and see immediately fill the book quantity what the dipstick reads when the car is off and cold, then i would be able to check everytime in the future.
Book quantities (I flushed my TC at the same time) resulted in an overfill on mine. Book quantity for pan only is 7.3 litres and 5 litres came out. I think if you put in book quantity of 7.3 litres you will have over-filled it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I was taught on automatic transmission fluid level, to check it once the vehicle has warmed up for 5 or 10 minutes, and run through all the gears a couple times, holding in each gear a few seconds ( with foot on the brakes of course so vehicle doesn't move). We've always had GM vehicles ( except for 2 Chrysler products) and this method has worked well.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was taught on automatic transmission fluid level, to check it once the vehicle has warmed up for 5 or 10 minutes, and run through all the gears a couple times, holding in each gear a few seconds ( with foot on the brakes of course so vehicle doesn't move). We've always had GM vehicles ( except for 2 Chrysler products) and this method has worked well.
Absolutely there is a procedure (in the handbook?) along those lines - including engine running. But, once it is done and the level noted when it is sitting cold that level can be used as an ad-hoc check subsequently without the need to drive to temp - which is what I think Eran Tomar is trying to work around. To temp though is required as the start point.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update- after filling 5.3 litres i checked the level after idling the engine for 8 minutes and it was too high so i sucked about 1.5 litres, then drove about 20 miles, and the level was on the low hot mark.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ATF isn't just for lubrication it's also used in hydraulic principle. Ideally measuring what you've removed is what you start as quanity to replace until you check levels per service manual. If you have installed an aftermarket thermostat in transmission cooling lines, what temp does it open? Why is do say the lines and cooler are empty, dry? Shouldn't there be a complete fliud circuit, no air bubbles, gaps in fluid lines. Do have trouble with high fluid temperatures? Fluid level is measured as actual operating level, not just capacity. Don't mix apples and oranges. Engine oil and Trans fluid is sold in Quarts. When servicing stick with one or the other. Juggling litres, and Quarts you set yourself up for a fall. You want to if have deep or shallow pan? Call the GM parts guy that knows trucks. He's probly memorized the filter numbers for shallow or deep pans. My 2500 4L60 has deep pan, filter usually is cost a few dollars more. When i went to get a filter for the K2500 4L60 there were two numbers thats what i found out.