4L80e early design comparability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 2 piece with a fixed yoke it slips at the 2nd shaft

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great! Thanks everyone for your input.

Ok so I'm understanding this tranny will work for me? I'm having a hard time finding 2wd in my area, everyone I've found the last few weeks are 4x4s. I think you can convert them over, but that's over my head...

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I picked up the transmission. I did a bit of digging and the shift shaft can be swapped for a longer one. Here are some links/videos. I ordered the AC Delco # 24235194 and will try this soon. I'll be using the current safety neutral switch from 4L60e, assuming I don't break it to remove the switch. They are the same for both trannies.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...ension-22/5-3-early-model-4l80e-509384/page2/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-24235194
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The previous engine mated to the transmission was a 5.7 TBI (95 C2500 ECLB) and going to mating it a 5.7 Vortec. The torque converter should be fine, right?

Not sure what to do about yoke yet.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The previous engine mated to the transmission was a 5.7 TBI (95 C2500 ECLB) and going to mating it a 5.7 Vortec. The torque converter should be fine, right?

Yeah, you'll be fine. I actually used the converter that came in my junkyard 4L80E (donor truck was a 5.7L) in my 4.3L truck. If you're moving it from one 5.7L to another you're good to go for sure.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I was able to snap a photo of the yoke...I see a big nut at the end. I think that's called a "bolt-on" yoke?

I don't believe the 4L60e has this?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, I took the shift shaft off, but the part that I listed previously was not the correct part. I have since ordered a shift shaft for a 00 K3500 and that appears to be the right one. AC Delco part number 24233978. Will try to swap it here soon. Removal was pretty easy.

I also took off the yoke and ordered a replacement that is supposed to work with my driveshaft, along with a Moog 290 U joint.

The problem now is that the new yoke is much longer that the one I took off. I tried on the tranny, but doesn't bottom out and sticks out too far out.

Any ideas?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, I took the shift shaft off, but the part that I listed previously was not the correct part. I have since ordered a shift shaft for a 00 K3500 and that appears to be the right one. AC Delco part number 24233978. Will try to swap it here soon. Removal was pretty easy.

I also took off the yoke and ordered a replacement that is supposed to work with my driveshaft, along with a Moog 290 U joint.

The problem now is that the new yoke is much longer that the one I took off. I tried on the tranny, but doesn't bottom out and sticks out too far out.

Any ideas?
My guess is that you will have to have the drive shaft shortened.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I thought initially. However, the inside of the yoke has a little recess. And it sticks out way too much. I did a bit of digging and looks like there are like 5 different output shafts on this tranny! I removed the tailhousing and mine measured 6 1/4" and has that o ring.

I think I found the part that may work though:

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p6..._slip_yoke_1310_series_32_splines_fits_t.html