4L80e early design comparability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the early design of these work on a '99-'00 vortec 5.7? I will be running stock ECU, likey from an Express Van or '00 truck. May do an 0411 ECU down the road if it matters.

Transmission in question is '95.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't 95 an odd year with PWM on their trans?

IIRC that was 4L60Es only, but I could be wrong.

Here's a site with some good info on 4L80E differences by year.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

The '95 trans will bolt up to the engine for sure, the bellhousing bolt patterns are all the same except the addition of the top bolt on later 80Es (you don't have to use that hole). What I'm not sure about is if the electrical connections are the same.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
You only really need to worry about early/late force motors. 91-93 is different, but as far as I know they can also be modified to add the later force motor design. Oil cooler line placement differs between 91-96 and later as well.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC that was 4L60Es only, but I could be wrong.

Here's a site with some good info on 4L80E differences by year.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

The '95 trans will bolt up to the engine for sure, the bellhousing bolt patterns are all the same except the addition of the top bolt on later 80Es (you don't have to use that hole). What I'm not sure about is if the electrical connections are the same.

I believe the electrical connectors are the same. What I don't understand is the shaft for the neutral safety switch. This on is the shorter shaft. I think earlier models trucks had that in the shift column? The later transmissions had a longer shaft.

I don't know if the early model will work. It looks like this...

Also, the yoke is fixed. It doesn't come out? I'm converting from a 4L60e so I believe I need an adapter?

You must be registered for see images attach

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
What did this trans come out of? There are several output shafts. The full spline van shafts can be shortened. Yes you need the longer shift shaft. The NSS bolts on where those untapped bosses are.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did this trans come out of? There are several output shafts. The full spline van shafts can be shortened. Yes you need the longer shift shaft. The NSS bolts on where those untapped bosses are.

Came out of a 2500 truck.

Sorry, I don't know a thing about transmissions! Shift shaft? That's for the neutral safety switch? Looks like I'll need a neutral safety switch, since it's missing it?

I did not take a photo of the tail housing,unfortunately. Did seem strange that the yoke did not slide out like the splined one I had seen.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NSS = neutral safety switch, doh!

Ok, so drill and tap them. That should be easy, right? I've done that on mild steel plenty of times.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding the yoke, it looks like you're going through what I did. My 80E was out of a one ton truck with a two piece driveshaft and fixed yoke. My factory 4L60E setup had a one piece aluminum driveshaft and a slip yoke. What my mechanic ended up doing was finding a two piece driveshaft out of a 2500/3500 truck with the fixed 4L80E bolt on yoke with the same wheelbase as mine.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. The guy said his truck was extended cab with long bed. It's going in my Silverado 1500 ECSB. That one also has a 2 piece driveshaft.

So how does the driveshaft "stretch" on the fixed yolk? In the center support part?

You must be registered for see images attach