4L80e Codes 81/82 -what scan tool can I use for OBD 1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PEIslander

Reaction score
Hi. New member and new owner of a 1994 Chevy 3500 4x4 pickup. I just purchased it and towed it home.
Took it for a drive and noticed it wasn't shifting. I found the fuse for the transmission missing and put one in.
It's still not shifting properly (I think stuck in 2nd). I used the paperclip method to pull the codes (81/82) and these relate to 1-2 and 2-3 solenoid circuit faults. Is there a scanner other than the GM Tech 1 (or 2 with adapters) that I can buy that will allow me to scan/monitor trans data and allow me to remotely activate the solenoids?
Thanks
Todd

Last edited:

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't help with scan tool, hopefully others can.
Coincidently my 95 has crapped out with the 82 code.
Sympton no 1st, starts in 2nd, hard shift 2-3, no OD, reverse ok.
Been working on this for awhile now.

You can test the solenoids with a 9v battery and an ohm meter.
If you don't want to drop the pan, you can pull the PCM (ECU) connectors, (google for pin out, disconnect battery 1st) that allows testing of the entire circuit, wiring, connectors etc.

This is my 1st time with this issue, so i tested everything and it checked out ok. (i have the GM shop manuals).
Took to trans shop for fix, they gave it back, couldn't find anything either, said issue was NOT the trans.

Trans shop suspects (and GM's flowchart agrees) its the PCM (ECU).
I'm on the fence and going to change the shift solenoids even thou they test
ok 1st. They're cheap. Will report back.

Hopefully some of GMT400 guru's have more info.

PEIslander

Reaction score

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the link.
my harness tests good to trans solenoids according to my findings and the trans shop.