4l80e 2wd trans to 4wd conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billys44s

Reaction score
hey guys

I recently picked up a 4l80e trans for my 91 k2500 out of a 94 Chevy truck and the only problem is that it’s a 2wd trans and my truck is a 4wd and I wanted to know what I need to do this conversion, the only difference I notice so far is the tail shaft is a bit longer on the 2wd trans compared to the 4wd trans,

Do they make a adapter for that or do have to disassemble the whole trans to convert
It?

Crytone

Reaction score
No adapters. You just need a tail housing and output shaft. To replace the output shaft you will need to tear down most the trans so it's usually recommended to do a trade or something for the trans you actually need.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have heard there are 3 different output shafts used on the 4l80. One of them is 4wd and the other 2 or 2wd. One of the 2wd shafts is splined much further and I have heard of people being able to cut the shaft to the proper length and then clean up the end to use a 2wd tranny for 4wd...

I have not tried this, Yet... I have one at home I plan on looking at. I also can't find the source of this information anymore, so I could be completely wrong.

Billys44s

Reaction score
I have heard there are 3 different output shafts used on the 4l80. One of them is 4wd and the other 2 or 2wd. One of the 2wd shafts is splined much further and I have heard of people being able to cut the shaft to the proper length and then clean up the end to use a 2wd tranny for 4wd...

I have not tried this, Yet... I have one at home I plan on looking at. I also can't find the source of this information anymore, so I could be completely wrong.

I read something similar to that, I read some 4l80e shafts are longer and some
Are shorter the 2 I got the shafts are barely off I guess I’m going to have to find another trans sadly

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF your 2wd Output shaft is the longer splined one used with the slipyoke instead of bolt on yoke, You should be able to just cut it and it will work with the Xcase.. Measure several times before cutting!!!
We did that on one 80E years ago cause we didn't want to pull the thing apart.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
What others have said above. Check out Lonnie's Garage on youtube, he has a few videos on this. Here's part 1, starts around 14:20

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Billys44s

Reaction score
IF your 2wd Output shaft is the longer splined one used with the slipyoke instead of bolt on yoke, You should be able to just cut it and it will work with the Xcase.. Measure several times before cutting!!!
We did that on one 80E years ago cause we didn't want to pull the thing apart.

I thought about doing that, but i was sure about doing that yet, was it a pain to do or was it not that bad to cut?

Billys44s

Reaction score
This is also what I’m working with

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about doing that, but i was sure about doing that yet, was it a pain to do or was it not that bad to cut?
Na just cut it with a 5" cutoff wheel on a grinder. use a sanding pad to clean the edges up.