4L60E Won't Downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Schematic from Factory Service Manual for 4L60E Solenoids. Power is from Fuse 20 off Instrument Fuse Panel Box (which is labeled PRNDL - NOT Transmission). Fed off ignition switch. Tests good to the Instrument Panel Fuse with Ignition On. Ran out of time tonight but need to get under truck tomorow and take plug off 4L60E and test there. Is throwing a bunch of codes right now (both transmission upshift solenoids and Torque Converter Lockup). More to come when I have more time to diagnose.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Mystery Solved.

You bet it was in limp mode (good call by several people). The last shop which told me it was a bad ECM were correct.

Unfortunately, they forgot to unplug their 4L60E Test Plug and plug the vehicle wiring harness back in. Once I did that, it runs like a champ.

Only fault code left is the crankshaft relearn code which the ECM Supplier warns must be reset. It says you need a Tech II (or advanced Scan Tool) to reset, so I'll have to pay somebody to do that. If anybody has any recommendations on reasonable price advanced scan tools would appreciate that.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Great to have a forum like this.

Attachments

• 4L60E Plug Harness.jpg
    4L60E Plug Harness.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 4L60E Test Plug .jpg
    4L60E Test Plug .jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 4L60E Test Plug Closeup.jpg
    4L60E Test Plug Closeup.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Also meant to mention that I have the complete (four giant paper books) Factory Service Manual for the 1999 C/K Trucks/Suburban in case anybody needs a troubleshooting chart or schematic. It's almost too much information (over a 1000 pages).

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stand corrected. There is manual 2nd in limphome, my bad.
You must be registered for see images attach

glad you got it sorted out.

Reaction score
No worries, thanks for helping. I could manually shift to 2nd with the cable and then manually to 3td. I drove it that way for awhile and was just careful. No obvious damage (yet). Didn't seem to overheat the engine - not sure what it did to the tranny. Seems toi run great now (for the time being).

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when in limphome mode the trans should run at full pressure. might be a bit hard on the gear train, but clutches shouldn't slip or anything like that