4L60E Won't Downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1999 K1500 5.7L V8 w/4L60E Won't Downshift to 1st

First shop replaced all solenoids and it did not fix anything. ($1000)

2nd Shop ran a new wire for the downshift solenoid and it didn't fix. They then ordered a new ECM. It changed nothing.

I'm back to fixing it myself and was hoping somebody had some experience troubleshooting it versus swapping parts.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
any codes?
how many miles? any other symtoms? other gears work? downshift manually?
sounds like it's in limp mode ....
do you have a scanner?

sprite

Reaction score
I had an issue where my truck wouldn't shift out of first gear and it was because my throttle position sensor had gone bad. Might be worth a shot

Reaction score
PO785

It won't downshift to 1st from 2nd upon coming to a stop. You can manually shift into first and it then upshifts fine.

Transmission is a Monster 4L60E I had a shop install back in 2019. Tranmission has about 60K. Suburban has almost 400k.

I did find a couple of you tube videos I need to review but wanted to see if anybody had any direct experience.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Transmission is a Monster

Uh oh...

I know this doesn't help you now, but in the future I'd stay far away from Monster Transmission. I've been reading horror stories about them on the internet for years.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think time for a scantool to see what gear it is commanding. have you had the vehicle tuned at all?

Reaction score
No, have not tuned anything. Factory Stock. I do have a low end Autel bluetooth scan tool but it does have any command modes - Read only. Can anybody suggest a budget scan tool that can perform all the tests required to troublehshoot a 4L60E.