4L60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 95 k1500 with a 350 tbi and a 4l60e. So the other day my truck started makin this grinding noise that sounds like it’s comin from under the seat where the tranny is. It starts from take off and doesn’t stop until I let off the gas and it goes into overdrive. From then it’s fine until I stop and accelerate again. I’m pretty sure the trannys fuckdd I just want some second opinions cuz I’m not a tranny guy and what everybody thinks the best option would be

David89gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northern California Sierras (God's Country)
1. Take it to a trustworthy transmission shop. They'll figure out the problem. Not sure but it might cost $2500 to have them fix it.

2. Buy a rebuilt transmission and swap it out yourself. It's an easy job that will cost about $1500. Or, you can go with a trick setup from Novak. http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transmission/transmission-packages/4l60e-package/

3. Rebuild it yourself. It will cost about $600, but will take a lot of effort and a long time to do right. There are videos and books you can download for free.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I took it to my transmission guy and he said for sure it’s the transfer case. I drained the fluid that btw was about a quart low. It seemed shiny and metallicy. It’s still grinding with new fluid but I expected that. My question is can I just drive it til it blows and be ok? Or will I be stranded on the side of the road

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Take it to a trustworthy transmission shop. They'll figure out the problem. Not sure but it might cost $2500 to have them fix it.

2. Buy a rebuilt transmission and swap it out yourself. It's an easy job that will cost about $1500. Or, you can go with a trick setup from Novak. http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transmission/transmission-packages/4l60e-package/

3. Rebuild it yourself. It will cost about $600, but will take a lot of effort and a long time to do right. There are videos and books you can download for free.
It can actually be a lot cheaper than you think to rebuild yourself, depending on what's broken. I'm rebuilding a 4L60E for an '08 trailblazer that burned up the 3-4 clutch pack, overhaul kit without steels was $110 from www.wittrans.com their website isn't the most user friendly, but their sales guys are very helpful if you give them a call.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I took it to my transmission guy and he said for sure it’s the transfer case. I drained the fluid that btw was about a quart low. It seemed shiny and metallicy. It’s still grinding with new fluid but I expected that. My question is can I just drive it til it blows and be ok? Or will I be stranded on the side of the road
It very well could leave you stranded. I'd take a gamble on a junkyard xfer case, it's an easy swap.