Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 98 k1500 with the vortec 350, I was wondering how hard and what I would all need to put a nv3500 in my truck? The nv3500 comes with the transfer case, my truck has 3.73 gears and the push button 4x4, thank you anything helps.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Not quite sure about the manual swap but what transfer case is mated to it? If it’s NP241 you may have some hurtles as the 98s most likely mated to a NP246 and that trucks TCCM won’t communicate with a older gen transfer case . Also your ECM relies on the TCCM input with shift points when in low range

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So I have a 97 K1500 with the 4.3 and it came from the factory with the NV3500 and NP241. The back of the block for the V6/V8 are the same so you shouldn't have an issue there. As mentioned above, you'll have to do some modification to the ECU so it will know when the transfer case is in 4LO. Gearing wise, you should be fine.

Also, with the engine, you'll have to get the flywheel balanced so it works with the engine and not destroy it.

Now, I'm not 100% sure on this, but since your ECU is set up for an automatic, you will have to either get it programmed or get a ECU from a salvage truck that has a manual in it.