4L60e to 4L80e swapped. Detent lever issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Alright, OBS gurus. I need your help. Finally getting around to working out some of the little issues in the truck that just aren't "right".

Years ago, I had a 4L80e swapped in place of my 4L60e that lost third and fourth gear. I had the connectors at the PCM re-pinned according to a wiring diagram for a stock 4L80e, and a new PROM burned to run the new transmission.

It runs great.
Here's the issue. If I move the shift lever down into first gear lockout, it's REALLY hard to move it up into drive. I actually don't like doing it, as I'm afraid I'll skip all the way into reverse. Not a good option for controlling speed down steep hills. Do you think this is caused by the detent lever? Or is it something in the shifter linkage on the column itself? Going between park, reverse, neutral, and overdrive are all fine, it's mainly when I get down to the gear lockouts that I have issues. Any thoughts or suggestions would be amazing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you reset the shifter cable? Put the trans in park, the shifter in park, there's a dealie you pop out right at the trans to relieve the tension, pop it back in and you're done. I'm betting you didn't do this. I don't see any pics from my swap, but there's a plastic pop out thingy IIRC that allows the cable to center itself. It's right down where it pops onto the trans. If you snap a pic of that linkage I could circle it for you.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I didn't do that. I actually had a shop do the swap (I didn't have access to a garage at the time). I'll crawl under and see if I can reset that cable. Thanks!