4L60E shift override? I’m confused…’94 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if the 4l60e is the same as the 4l80e, but if so - They shift from 1st to 2nd on their own (even with the shifter in 1st), and they start out in 2nd if you start with the shifter in 2nd.
If you want to keep it in 2nd without starting out in 2nd, you have to put the gear lever in 1st, then rev up to 4,000 rpms +, or start out in 3rd, then shift down to 2nd (manually) once moving.

Southwest ORV

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I'm pissed, my Blazer won't even think about lighting them up. 3.42 gears and 33's , go figure.

I looked up my RPO code yesterday and it says GT4 which…I think means I have 3.73 gears. It spun both tires, as you see in pic above. This truck is still original and bone stock, except for muffler back dual exhaust. 221K miles.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Man I was brought up to believe that if you cant lay rubber, something is absolutely wrong! my dad absolutely believes in that and back then they were carburetors... he was constantly tuning them so the vehicles could lay rubber.

my c1500 Sierra with the 343 g80 locking rear end will light up both tires and burn the rubber off em until you let off the gas. it will run through the gears blowing up more and more smoke. LMAO

I have only done that once though. haha

I dont feel like rebuilding the transmission in this sucker yet.... it is original.

EDIT..... OR the rear end! LMAO

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I absolutely agree.... My burb is quite excellent in the snow, even in 2x4. my sierra needs all kinds of weight to stop it from spinning the tires all the damn time. I use this truck to haul fire wood and when its loaded the tires will not spin at all and the truck seems like it it will drive through anything.

Last edited:

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was disapointed to find that the 4L60e in the Burb wouldn't stay in 1st, wanted to keep it in low towing trailer up steep hill and shift into 2nd when I wanted to. Probably cause the 350 has a very low rpm limit of 4200. Kept cracking exhaust manifolds when running around 3800 rpm towing up mountain passes. now have a 383 with headers and duals. No cracking. Starting out in 2nd is a good thing for getting traction in the snow.

Won't dare trying a burnout, don't want to hurt anything in my precious tow vehicle.

Southwest ORV

Reaction score
Was disapointed to find that the 4L60e in the Burb wouldn't stay in 1st, wanted to keep it in low towing trailer up steep hill and shift into 2nd when I wanted to. Probably cause the 350 has a very low rpm limit of 4200. Kept cracking exhaust manifolds when running around 3800 rpm towing up mountain passes. now have a 383 with headers and duals. No cracking. Starting out in 2nd is a good thing for getting traction in the snow.

Won't dare trying a burnout, don't want to hurt anything in my precious tow vehicle.
TBI 383? Which one? I’m intrigued.
Thanks for feedback on the shifting. Looks like I’m not alone.