4l60e shift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm done with B&M "shift kits". Had 'em in my early years. Tire-chiping shifts don't make any sense when the engine has actual power--you just lose traction at each shift point.

I've moved to TransGo kits. Their "shift kits" are standard-operating-procedure for many local trans shops because they fix known weaknesses in OEM transmissions.

Their performance products seem nicely thought-out also.
http://www.transgo.com/products.php...meinclude=catalog&category_id=96&parent_id=96

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, I'd go with a TransGo over any B&M kit.

That said, after what I've gone through with 4L60Es in these trucks I don't think I'd spend a dime trying to improve one.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two unrelated anecdotes to share, one involving a B&M kit, and the other involving TransGo, both on different daily-driver transmissions, neither of which were GM. So take the following with a nice big grain of salt.

The B&M kit was in a Ford 4R70W, on the bench for a full rebuild on account of a failed forward clutch piston seal. Upon teardown, I discovered that the intermediate clutch friction teeth had been hammered so hard that the teeth were worn down to half of their normal width. Hard to say how much longer they would have lasted. I removed the B&M springs and reassembled the transmission according to mild J-mod specs. In my opinion, this made the shifts feel satisfyingly firm, yet not harsh.

Later, I was rebuilding a neighbor's unmodified Chrysler 41TE. IIRC, it was showing early signs of slippage. The owner requested a shift kit, so I did some hunting around and found a TransGo kit. I found the installation instructions to be very user-friendly and confidence-inspiring. After doing the whole calibration procedure thing, I have to admit- I couldn't even tell that a shift kit had been installed. Whatever it changed, felt very natural.

It's completely unfair to compare these two stories against each other, but FWIW this is how B&M left a bad taste in my mouth while I wouldn't hesitate to go with TransGo again.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Transgo calls a "shift kit" is not intended for "performance" use, it's intended to fix calibration issues in the OEM transmission, so that it's more reliable yet still suitable for general-purpose use.

The local trans rebuilder that did the 700R-4 in my '88 K1500 (about 15 years ago) stuffs a Transgo kit in every trans they do.

Transgo also has performance kits.