4L60e running at 200-210F at operating temp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's strange. For the same cooler I would trust the factory orientation.
Yep! I can confirm both the Trucool 40K and the M7B both work very well with the GM factory Express van orientation. Spare core support I have off a 99 G3500 van I parted out. Factory cooler mounts fittings down, just under the hood latch. M7B is the same width as factory, just taller and thicker with larger fittings. Cruising down the highway at 80 mph on a 100°F day with the in-radiator cooler and the M7B after it, my 4L85E runs about 140°F at the OEM temp sensor that is in the pressure switch pack on the bottom of the valve body. The Tru-Cool 40K was dropping under 100°F on a 40°F day. The M7B stays about 120°F on a 40°F day. Factory cooler was also running about 120-130°F on a 40°F day. I am thinking of putting the 40K back and installing a thermostat in-line with it.

Attachments

• 20210617_073242.jpg
    20210617_073242.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wish it was available through and OBDII scanner, but my bluetooth one that hooks up to my phone didn't have any option close to it. That being said, doing a clean install of a gauge like I did took just a few hours of my time.

Both of my trucks have factory trans temp sensors. They also had different shift logic for an overheated trans.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Alright I got some numbers after a 2 hour drive. I think I'm happy enough with them that I can rest assured that it is operating in the normal range but I'll let you guys tell me. haha

anywhere on the pan: 176°F
cooling line in: 168°F
cooling line out: 195°F
the cooler read 174°F which I thought was kinda weird since the line back in was 168°F.
catalytic converter for a bonus: 395°F

All right guys let me know your thought because I truly appreciate it! the truck was not working hard just running normaly as it usually is, with my wife driving.

Al

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's where the "max" function shines. Aim the thermometer all around the trans - front of the case, converter, pan, etc. and look for your highest reading. I've done this on a few transmissions, but particularly on the 4L60E in my old '94 2500LD and the 4L80E in my '96 3500 wrecker (the white dually, not the HD which was an NV4500) after installing an AutoMeter trans temp gauge. Confirmed the gauge reading within literally just a few degrees. Pan/converter area in general you'll get a pretty accurate reading, and that matched with the gauge reading, temperature sensor screwed into the pressure test port on the side of the trans. Regardless of what anyone wants to say, it's a perfectly fine place to install it. :)

Richard

Richard, did you measure the outlet cooler line? I got higher readings along the that line all the way to the radiator than anywhere else.