4L60e running at 200-210F at operating temp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright I got some numbers after a 2 hour drive. I think I'm happy enough with them that I can rest assured that it is operating in the normal range but I'll let you guys tell me. haha

anywhere on the pan: 176°F
cooling line in: 168°F
cooling line out: 195°F
the cooler read 174°F which I thought was kinda weird since the line back in was 168°F.
catalytic converter for a bonus: 395°F

All right guys let me know your thought because I truly appreciate it! the truck was not working hard just running normaly as it usually is, with my wife driving.

Al
And that is at most 5 degrees lower than the similar readings I got (shoulda' read the CAT for giggles!). I drove up the pass during the summer with a 1000 ft elevation gain pushing it hard at 60-65 mph, pulled over slid under the truck and took readings.

At least that affirms (rightly or wrongly) my experience.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
supercharged are you saying that you can view the trans temp with obd2? are your referring your 98 k1500 and 97 k3500?
With the appropriate scanner yes; if you're just using Torque and a bluetooth dongle the answer is "maybe" - it will come down to whether there is a correct PID you can add that will read your trans. They're not always intuitively named. For example, the PID that will read the trans temp in my 2006 300 is for 2012-up Jeep. To further confuse you in that particular case, if you're in Park, it's reading engine coolant temperature. Gotta put it in gear before it reads trans temp!

Richard, did you measure the outlet cooler line? I got higher readings along the that line all the way to the radiator than anywhere else.
I don't think I went all the way down the line; it's been a long time. I would expect the line to the cooler to show a hotter temp. But, if you're using that as your temperature reading source you're going to cause yourself some panic with higher than operating temperatures. That's the hot fluid that needs to be cooled; not the cooled fluid the transmission is drawing from the pan.

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well if your climbing a mountain and my truck just went for a 2 hour drive on flat ground.... then..... theres no disputing that the rads trans cooler absolutely makes a difference.

So I'll conclude that depending on where you live and what your hauling, bypassing the rads cooler might not be a smart idea.

but I think my burb is just fine as is.

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject. I wouldn't have questioned this bypass otherwise.

thanks guys.

Al

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the appropriate scanner yes; if you're just using Torque and a bluetooth dongle the answer is "maybe" - it will come down to whether there is a correct PID you can add that will read your trans. They're not always intuitively named. For example, the PID that will read the trans temp in my 2006 300 is for 2012-up Jeep. To further confuse you in that particular case, if you're in Park, it's reading engine coolant temperature. Gotta put it in gear before it reads trans temp!
Good info, thanks Richard. Now I got to figure out if my Bosch dongle has that feature, and then find it--which is a challenge for a guy like me.........
I don't think I went all the way down the line; it's been a long time. I would expect the line to the cooler to show a hotter temp. But, if you're using that as your temperature reading source you're going to cause yourself some panic with higher than operating temperatures. That's the hot fluid that needs to be cooled; not the cooled fluid the transmission is drawing from the pan.

Richard

That I realize. But if temps coming out of the trans get scary hot, then a more effective cooler may be in order. Or may suggest something else is going on in the trans. As I have mentioned previously, where I live long sustained climbs with the TQ unlocked and/or in lower gears is common. I figure it's at least the equivalent of pulling a trailer on flat ground. Plus the air is thinner and not as efficient at cooling (as many people from lower altitudes find out when their less-than-optimum condition cooling system boils over when climbing a pass) .

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP is concerned with 'high' trans fluid temp of 210F - the same temp as the coolant in my Vortec runs at.
Even the saddle cooler's ability to cool the trans fluid is debatable when its cooling medium (engine coolant) is at a higher temperature than desirable trans fluid temps.
As many of you suggested that 210F was higher than it should be and recommended checking with an IR thermometer I don't posses to verify accuracy (or otherwise) of the dash gauge it was on my mind to check this out further.
With 210F on the dash gauge my Delphi diagnostics show 93C (199F). From a different sensor as far as I know - but the same coolant. Not running too hot then, just a needle on the gauge so dodgy it's probably a Hepatitis risk.