4L60E rebuild. What did I get myself into...? :P

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally did tackle cleaning the valve body.
I was very diligent on sorting parts out but I bumped the table and stuff got mixed up. :oops:

I found a diagram and put it back together but there are some things I need help whit.

1) I am not sure where the bore plug retainer supposed to go.
Does it go in the first or second slot?

You must be registered for see images attach

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#2)

part #373 was not present and the retaining pin #360 was put directly trough the small hole in #372.
Should I put it back the yay it was or do I have a missing part?

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#3)

I'm not sure if I have the wrong diagram, o there are different versions of this but the parts I have don't match to the diagram.
This is what it supposed to be.?

#384, #383, #382 is not anything what I have.
Those parts below came out of that bore.

Same for #391, #392, #393.
It does not look like anything I have and I have only one spring?

The second bore from the right is a mystery as that piston doesn't seem to go all the way in.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the 4L60 family of transmissions. If I remember right the original 700R4s (which became the 4L60s) had over a thousand changes during their production.

I wouldn't worry about it too much and just be sure to clean and install all those pieces the same way they came out.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the 4L60 family of transmissions. If I remember right the original 700R4s (which became the 4L60s) had over a thousand changes during their production.

I wouldn't worry about it too much and just be sure to clean and install all those pieces the same way they came out.
I guess it is inevitable to have improvements/changes over the years when you have a transmission that has been around for as long as the 4L60e.
I spent quite some googling the differences and few hours going over and make sure everything is where it supposed to be.
I'm satisfied that everything is good to go.

Now it is time to pull the trigger on ordering parts.

Tank you.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on blocking the TCC valve?
I had no problems before, should I block it or not?
What would be the disadvantages of blocking it?
I read somewhere that it can cause poorer fuel economy?

Thanks.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on blocking the TCC valve?
I had no problems before, should I block it or not?
What would be the disadvantages of blocking it?
I read somewhere that it can cause poorer fuel economy?

Thanks.
you want to install the isolator valve BACKWARDS. Flip it 180* and install it this way. This will turn your TCC into an on/off arrangement vs PWM. This is recommended in ALL builds.

EDIT: here is some more stuff you should get for your valve body that I do on all builds:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4272747 (order 2x)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4272912 (pack of 5)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4270461 (prevent future separator plate wear, VERY common on this trans)

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't think it was a good idea to reuse the old clutches, that's why I selected the kit whit clutches and steels.
The 3-4 pack is just totally destroyed. Some clutch plates are completely stripped an bent etc... the picture doesn't do it justice.

I checked the reverse input drum, its not perfect, but from what I read it's still good.

I was going to ask about the corvette servo, everybody seem to change it out. I'm just curious why is it that much better?

The "Line Pressure Booster Kit" is basically increases line pressure by adding O rings to the piston?

I assume the High RPM (3-4/FWD) Clutch Spring Kit is to replace the completely flat 3-4 springs?

I updated my shopping list.
bushings
ATP Master Transmission Repair Kit
Band
GM Genuine transmission solenoid
ATP B165 Filter
PIONEER 771003
TransGo 7-2P Corvette servo piston assembly
SONNAX 4L60ELB1
High RPM (3-4/FWD) Clutch Spring Kit

Thank you.

(7) .080" Borg Warner "HE" High Energy frictions

(6) .077" 700R4 steels (standard steels is fine here)

OEM .193" backing plate 24212460

OEM .220" apply plate 08685044

OEM .093" snap ring

Make sure your 3/4 apply ring is stamped with a number "7"! This should stackup with .030-.040" clearance, DO NOT GO LOOSER! Try calling a place called "King-O-Matic" they can get you the part numbers for the clutches and steels, then you can call Lordco and get them to order the parts from King-O-matic.

Keep the 3/4 load springs, do not discard! Make sure to replace the springs with new... https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4272783 comes with 10 in a pack.

Last edited: