4l60e problems help please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi all,
i have a 1999 k1500 suburban, purchased in the fall. truck has 212k miles 5.7 with the 4l60e. last week the rear end blow up, im thinking it was rebuilt and not so well. the carrier broke into quite afew pieces and the planetary gears where broken aswell. i found a thin bolt about 1.5"long stuck to the magnet on the cover. it was under a build up of sliver looking paste, just giving a little backlight on my findings and what happened. so w.e. with all that i got a good rear and tossed it into the truck just to see what else may be wrong and im almost 100% i need to rebuild the trans. reverse works fine, 1st works, 2nd work, 3rd aswell but when i select drive it just sits still and sounds like something is gonna break. but when i manually shiff everything is good even od, but when i stop i need to manually shift again. any help would be great ty in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're saying that from a stop, in Drive or Overdrive, the truck makes evil noises but doesn't move?

Then you put the shift lever into 1st, the truck goes. You shift to 2nd, and the transmission shifts. You shift to Drive, and you have third gear, and you put the lever into OD and you have fourth gear. You didn't say--but I'm guessing--that the Torque Converter Clutch works.

Drop the pan, look for debris.

Wild Guess: Failed low roller clutch. Putting shifter in 1st engages the low-reverse clutch which does the job of the roller clutch.

You must be registered for see images attach