4l60e only has 1st and reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dayton Clarke

Reaction score
I recently bought a 97 K1500 with a 5.7l Vortec and 4l60e. It has 246,000 miles. It had a small underhood fire on the left side of the engine bay but the PO fixed it while also using the wiring harness from a 97 Tahoe 2wd. When i looked under the truck i saw some stuff on the harness unplugged but couldn't tell where any of it would plug into. Also the shift cable seems like it needs to be adjusted and you can't feel the truck go into gear when going through R/N/D. I've also found out that the shift indicator marker doesn't appear in the cluster. The truck does have a 3" body lift if that affects anything and the speedo still works.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much difference in the 1500 and suburban/Tahoe as far as ecu controls go. I would look for a wiring diagram for both vehicles and see if the po missed connecting all the transmission's wiring. All shifts are controlled by the ecu and the box for the trans. My 97 Tahoe tranny gave up the getup and go and needed rebuilding. That's how learned about the shifts and electronic control.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the point where I would turn to an expert and ask around and find a reputable transmission repair place and get them to sort it out. I think a 50 buck diagnosis fee would be well spent in this case. Just my .02 which isn't even worth that.