4l60e issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mayhem98

Reaction score
Oh darn! Did it work fine in the beginning? Like after the rebuild? Did you go though all of the seals and bushings, besides the clutch/steel plates?

Is this your first rebuild? What did use as reference to rebuild it? Look into one of these service manuals and see what it says about not going into 4th gear. ATSG is one of them. I don't know enough of these units to tell you if both symptoms you have are related...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's the guy I watched for the whole rebuild, followed his instructions to the letter

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the guy I watched for the whole rebuild, followed his instructions to the letter
Man, I don't know what to say. I'm rebuilding a 4L80e using the same guy and the ATSG manual, and basically any other YT video out there, LOL. It's a challenge to rebuild these units. There's no margin of error.

Did you do the air checks on the various drums when you re-assembled them? I dropped in my rear geartrain the other day, but I'm not convinced I got the air checks based on what the videos show. I'm doubting if I have a lip seal backwards, so I'm going to remove and double check. The lip seals also are easy to get pinched when you install them, so the drums won't apply and you won't get that gear.

So it sounds like you didn't get it to work right after the rebuild? Did you figure out why it wasn't going into 4th when you tore it apart? What did you find? I think your next step is dropping your pan to see what the fluid looks like.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ I'm surprised that the Low-Reverse clutch is applied in "Park", but NOT applied in first gear when the selector is in manual second range.
Is that perhaps because the transmissions will actually shift between gears 1 and 2 when the manual selector is in either one of those? I didn't actually realize they did that. I thought they stayed on first gear no matter what if you select the manual lever on 1.

And they use a different configuration when second gear is applied when the selector is in O/D vs when selector is on 2. Probably using a different hydraulic circuit to prevent them from shifting into 3rd? Again, I'm just learning the internals and how they work, so I'm just guessing here...

Transamco

Reaction score
4th gear is achieved when the band is applied while the 3-4 clutch is in play. In other words, since you indicate no issue with 2nd and 3rd, the problem is going to be in the 4th apply circuit, and not the band itself, since it already functions successfully in 2nd. The 2nd apply circuit is charged for the 1-2 shift which brings the band on to give 2nd gear. This remains on for a 2-3 shift even though the band needs to be released in third. The same pressure that applies the 3/4 clutch is also fed to the servo release side of the band servo, which overcomes 2nd apply to release the band. 4th is achieved when additional apply pressure is directed to the piston located in the servo cover. 4th apply and 2nd apply combined brings the band back on. As for reverse, this uses the reverse input clutch and low/rev at the same time. Reverse input is not used in any other gear. Low/rev is used in manual 1st position. It holds the rear planet (as does the low/rev spag, so it provides additional holding power) and provides engine braking.