4l60e extremly hard 1-2 shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trans shop I used most "always" installs a Transgo "Shift Kit" in the transmissions they rebuild.

the Transgo "Shift Kit" is not a PERFORMANCE shift kit. There should be no harsh shifting like you'd get from, for example, a B&M shift kit.

Transgo also sells performance kits that make for higher pressures, firmer shifts, etc. But that's not what I'm talking about.

Yeah, $354 is way high. You should have paid the going rate for a pan-drop minus the filter since apparently they didn't install a new one. You'd pay for a few quarts of fluid. Snapping the connector back in place should be "included". You'd also pay for a few tenths to allow the tech to connect the scan tool. Did the tech use the scan tool AFTER plugging the connector back in? Or did he just assume that the EPR was working when he plugged the connector in, and the scan tool never did communicate with the trans after the repair?

My concern with this vehicle is that the prior owner or the shop he had "overhaul" the trans did not in fact install a "shift kit", they just yanked the connector and added a few hundred dollars to the price. Maybe there was no "overhaul". Similar in concept to taking a car in for a proper wheel alignment, and the dirtball holding the wrenches is of the "Set the toe, and let 'er go" philosophy.

If the trans works good now...probably no damage. You can hope, anyway.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the tech use the scan tool AFTER plugging the connector back in? Or did he just assume that the EPR was working when he plugged the connector in said:
I am not sure , he simply said they pluged it back in and now its shifts fine, There were only 3 more miles on the odometer when I got it back so they could not of test drove it far .[/COLOR]

My concern with this vehicle is that the prior owner or the shop he had "overhaul" the trans did not in fact install a "shift kit", they just yanked the connector and added a few hundred dollars to the price. Maybe there was no "overhaul". Similar in concept to taking a car in for a proper wheel alignment, and the dirtball holding the wrenches is of the "Set the toe, and let 'er go" philosophy.

I am wondering about this myself, right now I kinda believe that a rebuild was done because the tech said it was pretty clean in there, but maybe the shift kit story is just BS from the PO to get it sold with the hard shifting.

If the trans works good now...probably no damage. You can hope, anyway.

So far all is good, but I have had Caddys and Lincons that shifted firmer than this suburban, and it makes me wonder...