4L60E Compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thank you,
I watched that video already, very informative and good explanation on decoding the numbers.
What made me question the fitment is the "TA" in the tag 8TAD. I could't find any info on what "TA" stands for.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing it out, it indeed looks like a chunk is missing at the bottom.
I could possibly reuse the bell housing from my transmission?
As I stated before I'm no expert but to answer your question yes. The bell housing should bolt to the new 4l60e. As for the tranny I would say any 4l60e is compatible. The biggest concern is what torque converter to use since you have a suburban and how is the valve body calibrated. I think I heard from a source that gm stated no 2 4l60e are alike. They factored weight, vehicle, and engine for the calibration of the vehicle from the factory. Not to scare you,,,more to give you my 2 cents from what I learned about these trannies whenever I was replacing mine...

Last the bar code...Imo don't stress on it. Anybody can tag a sticker and it doesn't mean sh*t ... the real numbers are stamped on the aluminum from gm. Via serial or the big bold printing on the side of the case

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TA- 4.3 Blazer.
8-year
D-4L60E

Anyone interested in looking up their own click here:
Then scroll down to code chart.

Last edited:

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I stated before I'm no expert but to answer your question yes. The bell housing should bolt to the new 4l60e. As for the tranny I would say any 4l60e is compatible. The biggest concern is what torque converter to use since you have a suburban and how is the valve body calibrated. I think I heard from a source that gm stated no 2 4l60e are alike. They factored weight, vehicle, and engine for the calibration of the vehicle from the factory. Not to scare you,,,more to give you my 2 cents from what I learned about these trannies whenever I was replacing mine...

Last the bar code...Imo don't stress on it. Anybody can tag a sticker and it doesn't mean sh*t ... the real numbers are stamped on the aluminum from gm. Via serial or the big bold printing on the side of the case
I have to admit I don't really know what kind of black magic makes a transmission work.

I'm really confused now, would the transmission shop be able to match a torque converter to my suburban if they know what car is the tranny coming from?
TA- 4.3 Blazer.
8-year
D-4L60E

Anyone interested in looking up their own click here:
Then scroll down to code chart.
My google-fu seems to be weak.
Thank you.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to admit I don't really know what kind of black magic makes a transmission work.

I'm really confused now, would the transmission shop be able to match a torque converter to my suburban if they know what car is the tranny coming from?

My google-fu seems to be week.
Thank you.
Yes have the trans shop install the torque converter they recommend for that 5.7 4wd you have.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got an update.
None of the options that required me to fork over a few grand to someone to fix the issue appealed to me. Pulling the transmission is the bulk of the labor cost here, so I decided to do the crazy thing and pull the transmission out myself.
I don't have the space for it but i was able to borrow some to do the job.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was not as bad as I thought it would be. quite a lot of work. I have a feeling it will be a b!@#$ to put it back in.

Now that I'm this far I might as well take it apart and see if its worth rebuilding it.
Wish me luck. :oops:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm this far I might as well take it apart and see if its worth rebuilding it.
Wish me luck. :oops:

I might be wrong here, but...

I wouldn't mess with the valve body, or at least I would leave all the springs and valves *in* the valve body (ditto for accumulators). The springs and perhaps some other parts are what make the transmission unique to your vehicle, so leave them as is; let the rebuilder monkey with the valve body, as necessary.

Otherwise, it would be interesting to open up the trans and see what's broken, but, if so, replacement parts are readily available. In other words, I would leave the decision for "rebuildable /not rebuildable" to the rebuilder.

Now, having shown my ignorance, let's see what others have to say. Where's @tayto?

Last edited:

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might be wrong here, but...

I wouldn't mess with the valve body, or at least I would leave all the springs and valves *in* the valve body (ditto for accumulators). The springs and perhaps some other parts are what make the transmission unique to your vehicle, so leave them as is; let the rebuilder monkey with the valve body, as necessary.

Otherwise, it would be interesting to open up the trans and see what's broken, but, if so, replacement parts are readily available. In other words, I would leave the decision for "rebuildable /not rebuildable" to the rebuilder.

Now, having shown my ignorance, let's see what others have to say. Where's @tayto?
There is nothing magic in the valve body, i think it would be a poor choice not to replace all the seals when I have everything apart.