4L60E Compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
definetly a good idea to disassemble & clean the valve body. if you are organized you can layout everything on the bench and then i clean each valve line up then reinstall. definitely vacuum check the valve body or at least replace and/or ream the AFL valve. the hydraulics are often over looked on the 4L60E, and are probably the most important thing for longevity. there are a bunch of other things i would do, when you are ready we can go over them if you are going to DIY this.

BTW, there are no seals on the valve body. if you use sonnax end plugs (HIGHLY recommended) then yea, there are seals.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW, there are no seals on the valve body. if you use sonnax end plugs (HIGHLY recommended) then yea, there are seals.
Sorry I meant to say all the seals on the solenoids, etc. Basically a complete tear-down. The tranny fluid is nasty, full of burned off clutch material, I'll have to make sure everything is clean.

Ive never done any work or had any interest in working on a transmission before. but... one must do what one must do. :rolleyes:
Lots of new things to learn.

My plan is to pull it apart, check if all the major (expensive) components are ok. Then i'll decide if it is better to buy an already rebuilt one or order a full rebuild kit and whatever else i need and replace all the seals, bushings, springs, etc.

I'll probably start a new thread for that.

Thanks.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if the fluid is that bad, 100% get all new electronics if you use this core. i would order a seal kit, bushings and all new clutches/steels. don't need anything fancy here, just make sure you het the borg warner HE clutches for the 3/4 clutch pack (4l65/70E 7 clutch will work fine here)

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same dilemma...I have a 94 GMC Sierra SLE extended cab with 5.7 liter K1500... Is there set years and models or will all the 4L60E work ? Is bell housing the same on all to ?