4L60e automatic to NV3500 manual 96 silverado 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smoove

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do the automatic to manual swap. I have seen a couple threads documenting the swap, but no one has stated if its difficult to bolt in the clutch and brake assembly under the dash. I have all the parts and will be documenting the swap. Just wondering if I have to pull the dash off so I know what I am getting myself into.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did it in my 93 without pulling the dash, I know its a different interior than your 96. But thats what I got.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
95+ trucks have the proper support bracket under the dash. you SHOULD be able to do it without pulling your dash, although modifying the wiring will be a bit more difficult.

On my 88 i had to weld in the upper support as it wasn't included in all the trucks.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Personally wouldn't recommend nv3500 :x I'd go nv4500 for sure.

My 305/nv3500 combo is just not THAT ideal. The nv4500 I find shifts so much nicer :\ Same length too, except an easier tranny to work on, more reliable, and its like twice the weight.
Have about 3500 km's on the rebuilt nv3500, and its nothing like the nv4500 in the dually at work. With 100k on the original 92 trans. Shifts sooooo nice.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were the NV3500's problematic? When I sold my '93 (solid red) in '09, it had 255K on the original trans. Still shifted great.

Only problem I can think of was every now and then you'd have to apply moderate pressure for it to slip into reverse when you were at a standstill, but it always went in reverse.

Reaction score
Love my NV4500 in my '92. I lucked up and it was special ordered that way from the factory. My '97 had the NV3500 and I like the 4500 a lot more. Just my .02.

Smoove

Reaction score
95+ trucks have the proper support bracket under the dash. you SHOULD be able to do it without pulling your dash, although modifying the wiring will be a bit more difficult.

On my 88 i had to weld in the upper support as it wasn't included in all the trucks.

Clutch pedal is in. correct brake pedal is in. Done without pulling out the dash. Yes they got painted before being installed

you mention the wiring will be more difficult. what wiring changes are my next step??

You must be registered for see images attach