4bt swap 4l80e conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr1rrrr

Reaction score
I am already running tach signal converter so that part will be easy and I am also using a stock temp sensor so that should be good so basically I just need the tps the only weird thing is my temp gauge seems to read about 10 to 15 degrees cold so will that mess with trans. also i do have a friend of mine that can tune the trans.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No such thing as an 80 without the e. That I do know. Early trucks had a TH400. The 60 without an e was simply a 700r4 renamed to fit the new GM transmission nomenclature.
Did not know there wasn't a 4l80 i guess i just assumed since there was a 4l60. I did know the 60 was just a renamed 700r4. Thanks for teaching me something.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even with the stand alone controller you still need to feed it an rpm signal. I believe the op was trying to minimize things by using what he already had, the stock pcm, the 4x crank signal is easy to duplicate, I don't know what the deisel stand alone uses?
They have a rpm sensor in the valley. Basically where a distributor would be on a gasser. And a TPS on the Injection pump.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to "tune" that standalone controller, e.g., for up/down shifts, TCC lock/unlock, line pressure,... just to name a few.
That I don't know. I think Jet makes (or made) a transmission controller, but I'm not sure if it interfaces with the standalone trans controllers.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a way to "tune" that standalone controller, e.g., for up/down shifts, TCC lock/unlock, line pressure,... just to name a few.
yes & no. there was stuff out there at one point tracking it down might be an issue. if you were going this route I would just use a 94/95 TBI '7427, but honestly you're probably better off buying a standalone controller if you don't need fuel management....

EDIT: from what I remember the hack and/or definition file was incomplete. i do remember someone using it successfully on the gm-efi mailing list but this was 15+ years ago now...

Last edited:

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually if you can pick up an 0411 from a salvage yard that wouldn't cost very much, as you said earlier it is documented how to make one a stand alone trans control. All you would need to tune one is a obd dongle that interfaces with ls droid or pcm hammer and use universal patcher,
That would also give you a towhaul switch cabapility

You still need crank sensor and the 4x signal would not be difficult to fab. I seen a post on 4bt forum years ago a guy made slots in a pulley and mounted a sensor near it. It doesn't have to be times right, just needs to give rpm signal.