4bt swap 4l80e conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr1rrrr

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Sierra with a 4bt and a turbo 400 and I want overdrive so I was thinking 4l80e but I have to figure out the transmission controller. So I saw a article by sloppy mechanics where he used a tps and rpm signal from the engine on a 0411pcm and all the wiring associated with the transmission and it worked as a stand alone controller. What I was wondering is if the stock 98 pcm could be used in the same way mine is still in my truck I currently use it to run the AC so if it could be used for that trans that would be nice. I looked around on the forum fro carb conversions cause that would be very similar to what I'm trying to do but it seems like everyone just talks about doing carb conversions and then gets talked out of it.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see why not, you'd need 4 pulses per crank revolution for crank sensor, tps, and engine temp. If you're not able to tune it and turn codes off, you'll have a constant ses light. If stock shifting is fine you could take the bulb out maybe or put a piece of tape over it. Lol.
If you do tune it, you can connect a ground to the cruise control pin via a toggle switch and have two shift and tcc schedules. If you decide to go that route send me a PM, I have a spreadsheet that will help you write your own shift schedules, and it has a bunch of stock towhaul schedules in it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I'm not sure of. I dont know when GM started putting the 80e behind the diesels but I do know 92-93 had them. 94+ are a completely different animal.
I had a 92 so I knew that year, but I thought it was a one year deal. Agreed on the 94+

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 92 so I knew that year, but I thought it was a one year deal. Agreed on the 94+
93's still had the mechanical pump so there was no ECM just a TCM. I didn't know that the 92's had a TCM. I figured they had a 80 not a 80e. 94 had the electronic pump that it think really gave the 6.5 a worse name then it already had.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93's still had the mechanical pump so there was no ECM just a TCM. I didn't know that the 92's had a TCM. I figured they had a 80 not a 80e. 94 had the electronic pump that it think really gave the 6.5 a worse name then it already had.
No such thing as an 80 without the e. That I do know. Early trucks had a TH400. The 60 without an e was simply a 700r4 renamed to fit the new GM transmission nomenclature.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even with the stand alone controller you still need to feed it an rpm signal. I believe the op was trying to minimize things by using what he already had, the stock pcm, the 4x crank signal is easy to duplicate, I don't know what the deisel stand alone uses?