454SSguy buid thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, started the tranny swap. Got it all the way out. It was going great until the 3rd bolt, that stripped, we had to go get an extractor socket and then it came right out. Once we got the tranny down fluid went everywhere and it looked like she'd been gutted, lol. I have school tomorrow but I will start putting all of the T-56 stuff in place as I go.

Getting started. Did I mention that every wrench that's been turned on this truck was turned in a 1 car garage. Can't wait till i have a shop.
You must be registered for see images attach

All gutted...

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday's progress...

Got her back up in the air again, a little higher this time.

There's the old tranny, hoping somebody comes to get it soon.

Here's the modular bellhousing and spacer setup from McLeod, I got it second hand but it's in pretty good shape. I'm not posative about the finish but I believe it's anodized. Either way it's gold, and pretty, lol.

Trans, how it cam shipped, ready to do work.

Me all dressed for surgery, ready to do work.

Here's the clutch and pressure plate from Centerforce, it's a dual pattern setup. I've read some great stuff about these types of kits so I'm excited. Those little weights in the middle kinda baffled me for a little bit. I actually called Centerforce to make sure I wasn't supposed to take them off. I thought they were some kind of shipping stuff. They move outward during acceleration applying more pressure on the plate, kinda cool I guess.

Here's the whole setup installed, which is gonna have to come back out b/c I didn't realize the dustcover that goes with the bh has to go on BEFORE the flywheel, lol. Oh well :D

So got it tore off and put back on with the dust cover.

Now got the BH on, next step is to cut the hole for the shifter and run down my fittings and lines for the hydraulics.

Thought this was a cool pic. I guess Hi Perf just means 4 bolt main?

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some more progress to report. Got the tranny in there, did this solo. Just want to say that if any of you are considering putting in a tranny by yourself, don't. Taking one out is hard enough but putting one back in is nuts.

Was a little nervous to cut out this hole. Must have measured 15 times or so.

This is how 1 guy puts in a tranny, freakin hard.

Measurements paid off, it's perfect. I think I will be getting a longer shifter handle but this will do for now.

As of right now it lacks Hydraulic clutch line, Clutch pedal and MC, and a driveshaft. Dropping off the DS tomorrow to get taken care of, then will be doing the rest this weekend hopefully.

Near future projects are gonna be some reverse lights (dev I need something), and a button shift knob for the reverse lockout switch. Then some moding of the VSS. I'll be able to read the speed with the EBL but the gauge wont work correctly till I get a modded DRAC or a Dakota digital box.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the driveshaft dropped off this morning. They are making one from scratch to fit the t56 yoke and my rear end, with new ujoints, for the whopping price of $240. So tomorrow ill pick it up and go get my hydraulic line made. I have a stock line from an fbody that il get a -3an fitting pressed onto. Getting closer.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soo.. No pics :(

I did make some progress though.

1st) The freakin clutch pedal.

Good: The holes needed for this are already there. one had a rubber grommet with a wire in it and the two bolt holes were just siliconed over.
Bad: I fought this thing for a day and a half getting it in place b/c the studs were bent. But I got it there and she's good to go now.

2) Neutral safety switch. I have one just need to find the wires from the stock one, it's somewhere up in the column but I don't know where exactly.

3) Starter : stock one is a no go, I've got a mini starter on the way, it should be here this week.

As far as whats left for the trans swap, Bleed the clutch and change out the starter. Then it will run. Still need to fix the speedometer and I plan on using a shift knob with a button for the reverse lockout switch. I think that'll be about it, just have to break in the clutch.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got under the truck and started trying to bleed it. It leaked fluid everywhere. Turns out the slave is no good. Gonna have to pull the trans and put in a new slave, oh well.

On a good note, I've got some parts rounded up....

Here's the turbo (precision 78/75), wastegates (JGS 40 MM, and a Tial Blow Off Valve 50MM)

Here's a reference pick of the turbo. We don't have soda at our house so I used a soup can, lol.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it's been a while since I've updated this. I'll catch you guys up.

Broke the motor last fall as I was collecting turbo stuff. I spun 2 rod bearings so I decided to sell the turbo stuff and just build the motor.

489 CI all forged, 10.2:1 CR and replacing that dinky old tbi will be this baby.

80lb injectors with 1000cfm throttle body.

Here we are after everything's cleaned up and assembled.

Sitting in the truck waiting for me to clean her up and get it started.