454SSguy buid thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry guys. Old pics will come back in a few weeks. I'll post new ones on a new acct or Facebook. I got the fuel cell put in, most of my fuel lines made, got the fuel pump mounted, and the bed put back on. Getting close for sure.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pics as promised. I now have 2 photobucket accts.

Sittin on coilovers all the way around.

You must be registered for see images attach

What the fender gap looks like in the rear. Can go down about an inch and up about 5 inches

Pic of the fuel cell. Will have big brace under it for protection and the trailer hitch behind it for protection. You'll still be able to see some of it for sure. I kinda like the look. You know the truck means business.

Cuttin the last fender then I'm gonna put some undercoat under there to make it a little cleaner looking.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't get too much done yesterday. Got the front left fender cut so no more tire rub. And then got the fenderwells painted with the same undercoat that I used on the rear suspension and frame. If you want a cheap easy mod to make your truck look much cleaner I'd say do this. I'll post a before and after pic so you can see the difference.

Before...

After...

Then I decided since I had a few spare mins I'd throw on my new badges to see how they look. I kinda dorked this one up, good thing I've got some spares. Gonna pull it off and redo it but you get the idea of how it'll look.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same exact thought but then I realized if I put the tank in the rear of the bed there's only two pieces of sheetmetal protecting it in the case of a crash. I guess I could mount it at the front of the bed and there'd be a lot more room but then what about a rollover. I really don't see a great option here. After looking at this whole thing I now will never ride in the tahoe with that "spare tire" fuel tank. There's no good way to get around that. I got some pics with the rollpan on today and it doesn't seem as low but I'm def gonna have to do something else to it. Gonna wait till I through it up on a lift and get some brainstorming goes.

Pics from today...

Roll pan on. Fuel cell really doesn't hang to low but the big huge brace under it does. I'm def gonna do some trimming on it.

For anyone who desides to use the same type of undercoat that I did (Rustoleum), don't freak out when you spray it on. It's doo doo brown at first, but it dries black, lol.

Then we started the tear down. Got the long block back together but no pics, will get you guys some tomorrow of that.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought it was about time to update this thread. I seperated from the AF on the 14 of this month so I now officially don't have a job, which means lots more time on the truck, but lots less money :). Good thing I already got most of the parts.

Update on motor : Got the tune getting closer, still gets pig rich under throttle but idles perfecftly. Will get it figured out. It started eating belts so I've got a real smog pump delete on the way, rather than my little half/way job to try and get it going. Sooooo while I'm waiting on that I figured I'd cut out the rear fenderwells and see how my "real tires" fit. Not buttoned up yet but all the surgery is done. Gonna use the stock tubs and slide them in about 4" so it will give me the room I need and still have a stock look to it. Enough talking, here's the pics...

Marked it all out and laid down tape for the grinder to follow. Did this first one almost completely with the grinder. The drivers side I did almost completely with the sawzall and it worked MUCH better

Cut out..

New tire sitting by the front size tire (275/50r17 VS 345/40r17)

From the bed

Out back

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Video as promised, only gettin up to about 4lbs here, hoping to double that number after we get everything worked out.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slow progress. Found out my issues, intake was not seating to the heads. New aluminum heads are otw. Will be sending them to the machine shop before they ever get bolted on to make sure they are good to go. I get back from vacation on the 9th and will go to work on puttin it back together. Plan to have it going in the first half of july.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have made some progress but my blower is just not gonna be enough after doing the heads/cam/intake so it is coming off. Don't worry, I've got something cooler coming.

BTW if anybody wants a almost complete whipple kit for there truck PM me, mines coming off next week.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got everything off. The truck is running, need a couple ve learns and she'll be good to go.

So the plan right now is...

Trans swap is next
New driveshaft
Put in the eaton and do disc brake swap
Get the suspension dialed in
When the Whipple sells start on the turbo stuff