454SSguy buid thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well we started off a little slow but got alot done today. Here we are lining up the lower shock mounts and the 4 link brackets and we got the shock bar put in the right spot.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then we got the shock tabs put on the shock bar.

Then we got the shocks all lined up and started figuring out where the watts linkage was gonna go.

Then we sat the fuel cell in place so we can start building the mounts for that. There will be a big mount that runs under it that supports the watts linkage plate from the rear side.

And here's Robert fabbing up that lower brace/ fuel cell holder.

And that's where we are. Robert leaves tomorrow so I will be on my own from now on. Don't expect anymore of those pretty welds :(

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, Devon told me to slow down on the work so of course I had to get some stuff done today :D . Didn't get to to much done, but I got the brace finished up that will support the watts linkage bracket and help protect the fuel cell. Here's a picture of it

It will get something on the bottom, like a rubber bushing or something along those lines, to help stabalize the fuel cell. Then the cell will be strapped in to the frame somewhere. These were my first welds with a stick welder, I have a small mig welder but using a stick is very different. Here are some of my first scrap pieces I started practicing on...

(After a couple dozen blows with a hammer)

Not great, but I got much better as I went on. Here is one that I am most proud of. I did the 2 upper welds in this picture and Robert welded the lower one, and I think they look pretty similar.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So got some more done tonight. Got the rotors pulled just to realize that the drilled and slotted ones I got from S&P are wrong.

Also realized that I don't have a swaybar, sooo yea. Will be picking up one of those, lol.

Also found out that you should never weld in a short sleeved shirt. Not like one of those "You should not do this type things" but more of one of those "You'll only do this once" kinda things, lol.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got a little bit done today. I got my 4 link crossmember made.

Then I started mocking everything up and getting it lined up. This took A LONG TIME. I must have measured every single aspect of how that crossmember fit in there a dozen times. Each measurement a dozen times, lol.

Finally got it where I wanted it and tacked and welded it. I rotated on sides on this thing incase the welds were drawing it up too much in one spot

And that's where I'm at. I gotta weld up the front 4 link brackets and then it'll be done minus the watts linkage stuff.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the front brackets all measured out and lined up. Then me and the wife got the bars put back in place to make sure they look right. Tomorrow I will weld these up and be able to drop the truck down on the suspension hopefully.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys got part of the frame boxing started. Got my new link bars, they are 12" longer. Got them dropped off to be tapped for the rod ends I already have.
Here's some pics of the welds from the boxing.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well here's today's progress...

Got the coilover's installed. Pretty straight forward install really.

Then I got the new stainless brake lines run.

Then I got the caliper's painted and on.

They will look a whole lot better once I get the drilled and slotted rotors. I ordered some but got the wrong ones sent to me. oh well..

With that, she's sittin on all 4 tires and it is LOW!!.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a little bit done today. The wife and I built a mount for the fuel cell and the front springs settled some more, I'm def gonna have to raise it up some.

After 1 night of setteling.

Amanda welding... :eek:

And here's the 1st weld she made. It won't hold any load really so I'm not too nervous about it.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couldn't sleep so I decided to do some little stuff. I mounted the new master cylinder from willwood. It's more for looks really but it will perform better too. I messed up one of the fittings on it so I will have to get another one before I can finish.

Then I broke all the head bolts loose. Didn't pull the heads, don't have new gaskets yet. But now at least I can just turn the bolts with a normal rachet, no pull handle.

Then I've been wanting to see how another one of my ideas would turn out. To fit the extended studs I drilled holes in the plastic center cap nuts that attach to the lugs. I like it, gives it a little more "Race Car" feel I think.

BTW I got an email from photobucket. I'm approaching my bandwith limit for the month, lol. Might have to make another account. :p

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some little things done. Got the fuel cell mounted and all of my nifty looking fuel cell straps put on. Also put some braces in to keep it from moving side to side.

Then got aome braces made and put on and everything painted uP with rubberized undercoating. Bout to roll it out of the garage and throw the bed back on.

Last edited: