454 vortech power and torque numbers and AFR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, weird. I never would have guessed. FWIW though the tailpipe wideband tends to read lean, dynoing through an unlocked converter artificially imcreases torque. Did the dyno operator use bidirectional controls to hold the truck in gear with comverter locked? What gear did you dyno in? Got a graph?
You must be registered for see images attach

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there you go.....100k on engine......very well taken care...probably never been touched.
Original truck.........owned by a farmer in SD and only driven from SD to Texas once a year. All highway miles and parked in a garage the rest of the year. I talked to the shop that took care of the truck He said the guy was a fanatic about this trucks care and it shows. The engine and undercarriage are spotless....So I am fairly certain the engine is like new inside....I cant believe the towed with this with at least a 14.5 to 1 or leaner AFR but the dyno operator says its typical with these vortech 454 engines. He claims there is an easy 30 to 50 hp and and 20 to 30 ft pounds of torque in this engine.
I am pulling it and doing a 496 with all fresh parts and a different cam. I want to concentrate on power from 4000 rpm and below but see if I can get this torque up and lower than it is.........somewhere around 2000 to 2500 and at least 500 ft pounds...and maybe some more horsepower down low I use it for some commuting and towing a camper.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also like to disable dynamic airflow blending fairly low in RPM. 2,500-3,000 rpm instead of 4,500 rpm. Doing this cause the MAF sensor to be totally in control of fuel delivery vs using the VE tables too. To me it is easier to get a cleaner air/fuel ratio graph running MAF only and a more consistant running engine.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It usually does not overide the delay. It either has to reach the RPM value programmed to bypass the delay which is often set really high or go longer than the delay period is set to get into PE even with the throttle open 100%. I would drop the enable RPM down around 1,000 rpm and set the delay to Zero. Then alter the PE ramp to at least 1.0. I like the PE to come in the instant the throttle is open. My Express van comes in at 50% throttle and 600 rpm.
this is not something I am familiar with but the dyno operator could talk to you on your level. This test was just a quick look at this old truck. I am going to do a 496 for towing and will try..and I said try to do the 0411 swap so we can tune it as we go......none of this sending the box...its a 97 so there is no support...I cant get this lextech to send a printout and do not know how to get one. I am willing to pay for it but cannot understand why this is so hard to purchase. I have been requesting this for some time but no reply. I am not sure what to do. I called Blackbear and they also are aware of Lextech and no response. It seems to me that he could make some money selling his expertise. I am dumbfounded.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of dyno was it? Any reason you didn't have him open up the tune a little?

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also like to disable dynamic airflow blending fairly low in RPM. 2,500-3,000 rpm instead of 4,500 rpm. Doing this cause the MAF sensor to be totally in control of fuel delivery vs using the VE tables too. To me it is easier to get a cleaner air/fuel ratio graph running MAF only and a more consistant running engine.
There was no tuning with this.......it was put it on and take it off in 15 min just to see where it was at so I have a baseline. I towed with this and it was not as easy as I thought. My foot was always in it. I should be able to see another 100 ft pounds or more of torque with everything correct.injectors/fuel pump etc/new fresh 496 cubic inch etc. This engine has the original plugs and wires on it. Its never been touched. A testimony to the reliability of these trucks. I have had diesels and love them.....but fuel prices/repair labor etc can cost a pretty penny. I think I can get close to an early duramax for torque and power. Maybe not as low but close if I concentrate on air speed down low in rpm in the cyl jead and make the cam small enough. The 496 is capable of 600ft pounds of torque. Not in this engine because its not going to be optimized like say a 5500 rpm engine would be. I want to take the 4:10 gear out and make it a 3:73 or go to gear vendors

300stw

Reaction score
its easy to get ahold of lextech. on ls1 truck website, i got a pinout last week