454 vortec throttle body on 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone

Reaction score
Greetings All, My first post and I hope it's not too dumb a question. I have a 99 GMC K2500 Suburban with a blown up 7.4. The previous owner must of had a cooler line break and ran it out of oil spinning 6 rod bearings. I'm going to eventually rebuild it and possibly install it in my Tahoe at a later date, but for now I need to get the suburban back on the road. I puchased a 2003 5.3 complete with harness and ecm but it didn't come with the DBW pedal, TAC module or harness. I was wondering if the DBC throttle body off the 7.4 would work with a adapter on the 5.3 with the correct harness mods, and a 0411 ecm. any suggestions will be appreciated.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the 5.3 has 24x reluctor? Most dbw applications were 58x. 24x setup needed for 411 ecu. Otherwise throttle body should work if physically mounted.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the easiest is going to be to get a 99-02 harness/ECU that had DBW. I know on those harnesses that had the 4.8/5.3 the cables work on the 4.3/5.7 throttle bodys; keep the gas pedal, cable and cruise stock. I don't know if the cable from the 7.4 was the same as the 4.3/5.7.

But running the 99-02 harness on the 03 has differences. The 99-02 had EGR and the later did not. Also, the injector connectors are different. A reflash to get rid of EGR and splicing pigtails on the injectors is pretty easy. Also, the oil pressure sender on the 03 is 3 wire, just run a 99-02 oil pressure sender that has 1 wire.

The 03 5.3 should be 24X reluctor, most were DBW then, but the Express vans still had DBC until a bit later. The 58X came in with the AFM stuff. The crank sensor on 24X is black and the 58X I think is gray.

Last edited:

Nash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 58x reluctor did not come until late 05 and in 06. Both my 05 6.0 LQ motors have the 24x

Last edited:

Boone

Reaction score
I think the easiest is going to be to get a 99-02 harness/ECU that had DBW. I know on those harnesses that had the 4.8/5.3 the cables work on the 4.3/5.7 throttle bodys; keep the gas pedal, cable and cruise stock. I don't know if the cable from the 7.4 was the same as the 4.3/5.7.

But running the 99-02 harness on the 03 has differences. The 99-02 had EGR and the later did not. Also, the injector connectors are different. A reflash to get rid of EGR and splicing pigtails on the injectors is pretty easy. Also, the oil pressure sender on the 03 is 3 wire, just run a 99-02 oil pressure sender that has 1 wire.

The 03 5.3 should be 24X reluctor, most were DBW then, but the Express vans still had DBC until a bit later. The 58X came in with the AFM stuff. The crank sensor on 24X is black and the 58X I think is gray.
Thanks a bunch, Good info. There is a local guy on FBMP selling a 0411 ECM and 5.3 harness for $150, but I'll check my local pick and pull first. I know they've been using DBW for 2 decades now, but I'm a old retired guy and prefer direct control. That being said though, I'll keep my eye's peeled at the boneyard for the rest of the DBW controls if it would be more economically feasible.