454 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam asher

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some help over here. I have a 89 k1500 with the 350 in it. I’m about to buy a 87 454 that I’m going to rebuild and put in there. The motor is coming with the ecu and wiring harness. I need to what I’m gonna have to do to get it out I’m my truck? What transmission with overdrive is the best bang for my buck manual or automatic? Is the radiator I have gonna be powerful enough(it’s a new rad but the same as stock)? What size driveshaft will I need or will I have to go to a driveshaft shop and have them make me one? Will my current transfer case handle 4-500 hp and torque(it’s stock but if I can keep it I’m going to rebuild it due to me not being able to get into 4hi)?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
4L80E. The 350 radiator should work fine. get a driveshaft custom built for your application. Not sure on the T-case I am not a 4wd expert.

Adam asher

Reaction score
4L80E. The 350 radiator should work fine. get a driveshaft custom built for your application. Not sure on the T-case I am not a 4wd expert.
Thanks! For gas mileage I was recommended a tci ez tcu. Is that nessesary? I would love to know what kind of mileage increase I could expect if I spent almost $800 on a transmission control until.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
if you are dead set on having OD then yes you will need either the TCI EZ ECU or comparable. If not get a TH400 from a square body with a 454/4wd combo and run it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's your current transfer case? NP241? If you keep it you need to change the input shaft to match the larger output shaft of the TH400/4L80e. Wasn't that TC also ran on the 2500 8 lug? If so, it's probably strong enough for a 1500. What are you doing with your truck anyway?

I was going to recommend an 4L80e/TC combo from the RV-series trucks, but just remembered those are passenger side drop...so that won't swap directly, same for square body generation (the transfer case won't swap because the driveshaft is on the wrong side...)

Adam asher

Reaction score
So I needed to be able to go very long distances and have reliability and all I have left is the drivetrain. I found a really good deal on a 454 so I jumped on it. The trans is mostly shot already so I’d already have to buy a new one. The tc I believe was used in larger apps. Someone mentioned needing to upgrade the front suspension due to the weight of the 454, is this true?