454 stroked to a 496

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the heads different on a Vortec vs older generations?

They are, but they're pretty similar. Gen 6 and 4 heads can be swapped with some head gasket modification, I think the same goes for gen 5 but i can't remember for sure. Google is your friend if you have something in mind.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do a 12v or 24v Cummins swap and save yourself the headache. Wishing I had done that at this point rather than going with a blower. That being said, I have a freshly rebuilt Whipple for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fully built big block with blower is very close in entry fee of the stock Cummins.

Yeah, but if you start with a not blown up big block you can slap an Ebay turbo setup on for a bit cheaper. On that same note, I could likely sell my blower and 454 for a good chunk of what a good used Cummins brings. . .

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, but if you start with a not blown up big block you can slap an Ebay turbo setup on for a bit cheaper. On that same note, I could likely sell my blower and 454 for a good chunk of what a good used Cummins brings. . .

Very valid point, the mileage of the cummins would be dope for lots of towing.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cummins is gonna make way more power with way less risk of breaking, get better fuel mileage, and if something does break, replacement parts are cheaper and more available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk