454 Oil Filter Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beginning of the year I pulled the old tired 350 out of my truck and swapped in a 454.

The oil filter is straight up and down and hangs right over the front driveshaft, with like a half inch clearance between filter and shaft. This is a pain as I’m only able to use the really short filters and even with that, it is an absolute bear trying to and get the filter out around the driveshaft and in between the frame.

So I’m guessing this motor must’ve been from a 2wd truck or something. What’s the solution to make oil changes easier and also run a bigger filter? Is there an adapter? Or should I look into like a remote filter kit?

Thanks in advance

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
4x4s came with an angle adapter for the filter. You'll dump oil on your front u-joint every time with it, so a remote mount would be nice. That adds more lines in an engine compartment already crowded with lines, However.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep.... getting the filter out is a bear as well. My frame to diff clearance is very narrow.... the filter will not fit between them without some force & twisting motion after getting the u-joint/yoke in the right position.
Sucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yep.... getting the filter out is a bear as well. My frame to diff clearance is very narrow.... the filter will not fit between them without some force & twisting motion after getting the u-joint/yoke in the right position.
Sucks.

You've got someone abnormal going on. I've never had any trouble getting my filter out.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You've got someone abnormal going on. I've never had any trouble getting my filter out.

Yes.... I found my transmission mount bolts were missing, cocking the drivetrain a bit to the left.
After aligning it up and putting bolts back in the mount, it got better.... but not much.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I wondered about the adapter as I already get oil all over the place as it is. I’m not too familiar with remote filters, but I think routing something and making it look clean wouldn’t be too hard a taste. May be nice to have an oil filter for a change that’s not under the rig.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beginning of the year I pulled the old tired 350 out of my truck and swapped in a 454.

The oil filter is straight up and down and hangs right over the front driveshaft, with like a half inch clearance between filter and shaft. This is a pain as I’m only able to use the really short filters and even with that, it is an absolute bear trying to and get the filter out around the driveshaft and in between the frame.

So I’m guessing this motor must’ve been from a 2wd truck or something. What’s the solution to make oil changes easier and also run a bigger filter? Is there an adapter? Or should I look into like a remote filter kit?

Thanks in advance
I think it depends on what year the truck is. Mine is a 2000 K3500 and I believe it to be factory, it is the straight adapter with a short filter. I bought a used engine out of a 98 K2500 and it has the angled adapter. It's a PITA but clears my long tubes and it can be changed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think it depends on what year the truck is. Mine is a 2000 K3500 and I believe it to be factory, it is the straight adapter with a short filter. I bought a used engine out of a 98 K2500 and it has the angled adapter. It's a PITA but clears my long tubes and it can be changed.

They changed the filter after a certain VIN in 99. I didn't realize they stopped using the angle adapter at that point. The long filter is a PF1218, and the short is a PF454.