454 Oil Cooler Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500

Reaction score
I am looking to delete the radiator oil cooler on my truck. I found this article but just wanted some clarity. If I understand the article correctly I just buy 2 pipe plugs and remove the 1 check valve. Everything else stays the same? Or is there an adapter that the oil filter is attached to (new to me truck haven't done an oil change yet but want to address leaking oil cooler lines when I do the change). SEE LINK: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/big-block-chevy-oil-cooler-delete

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines a 92 454 and that how i did mine and havent had any issues

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just plug the holes. You don't need to remove or change the bypass, from what I've read.... I didn't. I bought some good quality plugs from Fastenal and used pipe dope to make sure they sealed.

The oil filter adapter is only on 4x4s, your filter should be right on the block.

Edit: That article suggests the PF454, which is the late filter. I usually use the PF1218 (or equivalent) which is the taller early filter. Listings for 1999 have a VIN split (or maybe production month split). I usually use the early filter since that's what I found on it, when I bought it with 6000 miles.

Last edited:

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep I pulled D and put in 2 pipe plugs one one of them in A and one in B. This was on a 1996 454.

454C2500

Reaction score
Thanks all. I have a new factory spec filter that I will stick with. Just need my 2 3/8" pipe plugs. Looking forward to having a clean driveway.

454C2500

Reaction score
I should have dug a little deeper before assuming all that oil on the lines was from the oil lines leaking. The leak was my high pressure fitting at the steering pump. Put a pan under it, removed the steering line, replaced the O-ring, refilled, and now we're dry. For now the oil cooler in the radiator stays I guess. Thanks anyway!

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 years ago if a vehicle didn't leak it had an major issue i.e., it had completely run out of oil to leak. :p