454 camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swstevenson

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got a 1990 gmc with the 454 in it. Pre-vortec, so I don’t know if that makes a difference. Anyways, it has low compression due to the #7 or #8 cam lobe being worn off but not sure which one.
My question is:
what should I look for in a performance camshaft and lifters for when I go to replace it. I want to milk more power out of it. And since I’m going to be cracking into the engine anyways, if I go full fledged rebuild what other mods should I throw in that will gain power but not decimate my wallet. TIA!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That means he can get some decent heads and a different intake as well to open it up more. Since you're doing a full rebuild, may as well target a compression ratio at least in the 9s.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1990 gmc with the 454 in it. Pre-vortec, so I don’t know if that makes a difference. Anyways, it has low compression due to the #7 or #8 cam lobe being worn off but not sure which one.
There's two cam lobes per cylinder. Are you SURE the cam lobe wear is the reason for the low compression?

Have you done a cylinder leakdown test to rule out failed rings, or defective valve seal?

All the metal worn-off the cam lobe and lifter bottom has been circulating in the oil system. Some of that debris will be caught in the oil filter, some has gone through the engine bearings, hydraulic lifters, etc. Be sure to clean and inspect EVERYTHING. This includes removing the pain-in-the-*** threaded plugs along the lower left edge of the block so the oil drillings can be cleaned with a brush.

Those plugs generally have a recessed square wrenching surface. A #3 Robertson bit works nicely. They're generally REALLY TIGHT.

what should I look for in a performance camshaft and lifters for when I go to replace it. I want to milk more power out of it.
If power is a concern--and you've already had cam lobe failure already--the first thing you need to look into is a roller cam and a set of conversion roller lifters.

The cam should be a step-nose (Gen 6) style, which uses an OEM thrust plate to control cam movement fore-and-aft; instead of a stupid aluminum or nylon "button" banging against the timing cover. Most Mark IV blocks have the bolt holes for the thrust plate already drilled 'n' tapped. Some don't have the holes, but they have the casting bosses so the holes can be easily added.

The roller lifters are taller than the stock flat-tappets; you'll need shorter pushrods.

The original cam is very mild. The TBI computer will likely need to be re-tuned to suit the new cam. California frowns on this, and other states are sure to follow.

And since I’m going to be cracking into the engine anyways, if I go full fledged rebuild what other mods should I throw in that will gain power but not decimate my wallet. TIA!!
Zero-deck the block, or use thin embossed steel-shim head gaskets. You want not more than 0.045 piston-to-head clearance. I'd shoot for less, depending on piston-to-cylinder wall clearance and the expected maximum RPM.

ALWAYS degree the cam. Most I've done are withing a degree of where they're supposed to be; but you never know unless you check it.

SOME (not all) Mark IV blocks are set up for parallel-flow cooling between the block and the head. The difference is three additional small holes on each side of the block, at the head gasket surface, and the matching head gaskets that also have those three holes. Most Mark IV blocks have series-flow coolant circulation--which works but is slightly less preferable than parallel-flow. The big deal is that if you put a parallel-flow head gasket on a series-flow block, you'll have overheating that NOTHING will solve until you drill the three holes in the block, or change the gaskets.

(All Gen 5/6 blocks are set up for series-flow coolant.)

The TBI cylinder heads--in stock form--are pretty pathetic. They can be reworked by an expert to make decent power and torque. Or replaced by other OEM castings, but the real gains are from aftermarket aluminum heads (which also remove significant weight from high 'n' forward on the vehicle. You'd want very conservative port sizes to maintain lower-rpm torque.

The Mark IV 454 in my boat had Gen 6 Vortec heads for awhile. I was not impressed. Now I've got some older Mark IV OEM iron castings--oval port, "open chamber" but with big valves installed. Still a little shy of my power goals.

Last edited:

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was in that situation in my 93, sort of, self inflicted cam issue. Fixed it by rebuilding with dome pistons, comp ratio about 9.2, rebuilt my gen V peanut port heads, converted to roller cam, hardened pushrods, etc, Holley Sniper EFI. I should have gone Holley Terminator ($3200) instead to get transcontroller, and slapped on a set of Brodix race rite stock style alum heads, and 236+ @ .050 deg cam... It's slower than my cammed 2009 5.3 Suburban, but has way more tq for towing the boat and trailer around. Revs to 5000 1-2 if I shift manually, else the stock TBI computer shifts at 4200-4400 or so at most.

swstevenson

Reaction score
There's two cam lobes per cylinder. Are you SURE the cam lobe wear is the reason for the low compression?

Have you done a cylinder leakdown test to rule out failed rings, or defective valve seal?

All the metal worn-off the cam lobe and lifter bottom has been circulating in the oil system. Some of that debris will be caught in the oil filter, some has gone through the engine bearings, hydraulic lifters, etc. Be sure to clean and inspect EVERYTHING. This includes removing the pain-in-the-*** threaded plugs along the lower left edge of the block so the oil drillings can be cleaned with a brush.

Those plugs generally have a recessed square wrenching surface. A #3 Robertson bit works nicely. They're generally REALLY TIGHT.

If power is a concern--and you've already had cam lobe failure already--the first thing you need to look into is a roller cam and a set of conversion roller lifters.

The cam should be a step-nose (Gen 6) style, which uses an OEM thrust plate to control cam movement fore-and-aft; instead of a stupid aluminum or nylon "button" banging against the timing cover. Most Mark IV blocks have the bolt holes for the thrust plate already drilled 'n' tapped. Some don't have the holes, but they have the casting bosses so the holes can be easily added.

The roller lifters are taller than the stock flat-tappets; you'll need shorter pushrods.

The original cam is very mild. The TBI computer will likely need to be re-tuned to suit the new cam. California frowns on this, and other states are sure to follow.

Zero-deck the block, or use thin embossed steel-shim head gaskets. You want not more than 0.045 piston-to-head clearance. I'd shoot for less, depending on piston-to-cylinder wall clearance and the expected maximum RPM.

ALWAYS degree the cam. Most I've done are withing a degree of where they're supposed to be; but you never know unless you check it.

SOME (not all) Mark IV blocks are set up for parallel-flow cooling between the block and the head. The difference is three additional small holes on each side of the block, at the head gasket surface, and the matching head gaskets that also have those three holes. Most Mark IV blocks have series-flow coolant circulation--which works but is slightly less preferable than parallel-flow. The big deal is that if you put a parallel-flow head gasket on a series-flow block, you'll have overheating that NOTHING will solve until you drill the three holes in the block, or change the gaskets.

(All Gen 5/6 blocks are set up for series-flow coolant.)

The TBI cylinder heads--in stock form--are pretty pathetic. They can be reworked by an expert to make decent power and torque. Or replaced by other OEM castings, but the real gains are from aftermarket aluminum heads (which also remove significant weight from high 'n' forward on the vehicle. You'd want very conservative port sizes to maintain lower-rpm torque.

The Mark IV 454 in my boat had Gen 6 Vortec heads for awhile. I was not impressed. Now I've got some older Mark IV OEM iron castings--oval port, "open chamber" but with big valves installed. Still a little shy of my power goals.
Wow so much Info! Thank you so so much! So I should have specified.. the truck is a flatbed towing truck. Not a show-pony or racer by any means. But I do want to fix it and fix it right with some added performance, and like I said without being too expensive since it’s a work truck. I appreciate all the info and detail you put into this thread, you for sure know your stuff!

swstevenson

Reaction score
So the few comments so far have been super helpful, but some of it has gone a little over my head because I’m not too knowledgeable on the ins and outs on these particular trucks. So I’ve been told roller cam and conversion lifters, and aluminum heads… what else? I need the engine done fairly quick since it’s my workhorse so I’ll probly take it to a shop, and just tell them exactly what I want. So I guess a better question is when I take it to the shop and they ask what I want, what options should I research to be able to tell them what EXACTLY I want.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess a better question is when I take it to the shop and they ask what I want
"I WANT IT TO BREATHE BETTER!" Think about intake to tail pipe. They're all related, heads are nice but, if you don't open up the intake, they're choked. If you don't open up the exhaust, they're choked. Tuning is a must too! IMHO
It's all about the Benjamins, pretty soon you're down that $$ rabbit hole :anitoof:

Make yourself a plan with what you want it to do, including HP & Torque goals, get prices on everything you need to get there and put it on a spreadsheet or build form. Then you can go in educated with what needs to be done to achieve your goals. :waytogo:

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start a max budget. Work back from there with wants and needs. Roller cam conversion, easy $1000 by itself. We put polylocks on full roller trunion rockers that he cut down to fit inside stock gen V valve covers... Machine work, depending on cool or where it is, $500-1000 minimum. Bearings, gaskets, guides, it adds up quick. Cheapest I could see would be around $3500 if you bring the long block to the machinist mostly torn down. So, then might just start shopping buying a engine already built for 5k-10k or more. If it were me, locate a 96 up L29 454 from a salvage yard as it has the better heads then the peanut ports, swap the computer and everthing over?