411 Swap and Tech 2 scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brav302

Reaction score
2000 k3500 7.4 automatic
411 swapped

I’m trying to use a tech 2 to view the cmp retard after replacing my intake gaskets due to a coolant leak. I’m selecting 2002 8.1 3500 from the menu since this is what I’ve used in the past after the computer swap. The issue is that I don’t see cmp as an option under the engine 1 or engine 2 data pages. I see spark and knock retard but no cmp retard. Can anyone point me in the right direction to view this data? I did a crank relearn that was successful, no codes, but a slight mis at idle. Thanks

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2000 k3500 7.4 automatic
411 swapped

I’m trying to use a tech 2 to view the cmp retard after replacing my intake gaskets due to a coolant leak. I’m selecting 2002 8.1 3500 from the menu since this is what I’ve used in the past after the computer swap. The issue is that I don’t see cmp as an option under the engine 1 or engine 2 data pages. I see spark and knock retard but no cmp retard. Can anyone point me in the right direction to view this data? I did a crank relearn that was successful, no codes, but a slight mis at idle. Thanks

The 8.1 doesn't have a distributor or an adjustable cam sensor, so there would be no reason to even have that.

I would select a 2002 5.7 express van(since that is the engine segment your swap likely uses) and see if it shows up then.

Brav302

Reaction score
Thanks, you were correct if I used the 5.7 it shows up. Bad news is it’s -40, so I guess I’m going to have to pull the distributor and move it a tooth.