411 PCM w/Tow Haul shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tow/haul mode just winds the motor out a little more between shifts, ups the line psi for firmer shifts, and it wont let the converter lock in 4th gear.

Correct to my knowledge as well, and all in efforts to protect the transmission.

At first sign of an increased load, say, the beginning of a hill, it will shift into a lower gear as to not strain and overwork the higher ones (OD mainly). I've driven some trucks where tow/haul mode prohibits the truck from even going into OD until you switch it off. In those, it's best to use tow/haul mode on your demand instead of leaving it enabled full time. IMO

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Correct to my knowledge as well, and all in efforts to protect the transmission.

At first sign of an increased load, say, the beginning of a hill, it will shift into a lower gear as to not strain and overwork the higher ones (OD mainly). I've driven some trucks where tow/haul mode prohibits the truck from even going into OD until you switch it off. In those, it's best to use tow/haul mode on your demand instead of leaving it enabled full time. IMO
Keeping it out of OD serves a purpose actually. A 4l60e in overdrive while towing will kill it relatively quick if the load weighs more than a couple thousand lbs and you tow often. im on my 3rd trans in 4 years with my red truck, and my 01 tahoe is still on the original trans with dam near a quarter million miles. I used to think it was ok, then i learned an expensive lesson. If you tow once in a blue moon it would probably be alright but i just keep my truck in 3rd gear now when i tow. Sure it sucks the gas but its worth it IMO.

LS6rally

Reaction score
is there more info somewhere on what this mod exactly is? and which trucks its good for?

im looking ta a 2000 CCSB 454/4L80 Truck, and i would love to make sure its setup for towing. ive always just left my trucks in 3rd when hauling, but if i can install this for short money and get OD when its safe to do so, i wouldnt mind doing it.

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is there more info somewhere on what this mod exactly is? and which trucks its good for?

im looking ta a 2000 CCSB 454/4L80 Truck, and i would love to make sure its setup for towing. ive always just left my trucks in 3rd when hauling, but if i can install this for short money and get OD when its safe to do so, i wouldnt mind doing it.
This mod isn't going to make it safe for you to tow in OD. You should never tow in OD, thats a good way to cook a Tranny. Transmission mods would make it safer to tow in OD but still I wouldn't advise it

With that said.

OP do you still have this?

Thanks

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to tow 6,000lbs with a 97' Z71
Pulling a heavy car trailer with a 4th gen Camaro on it...I towed that setup 10's of thousands of miles with zero trouble.
If I was in a situation that I had to maintain speed at 55-60 or below I would keep it in 3rd gear.
65 MPH or above I used overdrive.

Terrain where you live matters as well as driving habits. When heading south from Michigan Tennessee was a 3rd gear state. I didn't travel out west.

With stock tires a 4.10 gear set would greatly increase the usability of Overdrive

SHRT 1

Reaction score
Cokeman95 - What truck is that dash mounted tow/haul switch out of? I just swaped to a 0411 PCM and whantto use the tow/haul feature.