400 vs newer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my ‘55 331 Hemi New Yorker it had ZERO brakes. I was about 19, stupid, just happy to have a Hemi, so I drove it home anyway. I did go as slow as I could, dropping it into low when needed, but the last stretch was downhill. This thing was built like a tank, so I strategically would click it quickly into reverse for braking down the hill. We used to beat the snot out of cars back then and do R/D’s(reverse/drive), but to keep them from stalling, you had to really rev the engine while doing this. Not the ‘55 New Yorker, at idle I could click it into reverse and it would chirp the tires and give a little braking! Fun times! ;)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When I bought my ‘55 331 Hemi New Yorker it had ZERO brakes. I was about 19, stupid, just happy to have a Hemi, so I drove it home anyway. I did go as slow as I could, dropping it into low when needed, but the last stretch was downhill. This thing was built like a tank, so I strategically would click it quickly into reverse for braking down the hill. We used to beat the snot out of cars back then and do R/D’s(reverse/drive), but to keep them from stalling, you had to really rev the engine while doing this. Not the ‘55 New Yorker, at idle I could click it into reverse and it would chirp the tires and give a little braking! Fun times! ;)
I think we all have at least one sketchy car/truck story...we wouldn't be car/truck people if we didn't!

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
At least you had reverse. I had a brake failure that made no sense on a work van I had, with a broken 4EOD transmission. Stopping it meant hitting a D21 hardbody Nissan.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you had reverse. I had a brake failure that made no sense on a work van I had, with a broken 4EOD transmission. Stopping it meant hitting a D21 hardbody Nissan.
Been there too. One time a buddy picked me up in his that day purchased 383 Cuda. He let me drive, came around a corner and no brakes, had 3 options, head on into car, slam into stopped school bus in front of me or to the right into a tree. I chose the tree. Wrecked his front end, he was beyond pissed but he never told me the car had no brakes!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had my 74 Mercury Montego,I brought it home on ONE working brake-front left. Right one-the brake hose was shot inside(so it wasn't leaking but would "baloon"when pressure applied) and rear brake hose was snapped-idk how it didn't lose all brake fluid. About 140 miles I drove it like this.
How in the HELL did you navigate British roads in that boat??

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there too. One time a buddy picked me up in his that day purchased 383 Cuda. He let me drive, came around a corner and no brakes, had 3 options, head on into car, slam into stopped school bus in front of me or to the right into a tree. I chose the tree. Wrecked his front end, he was beyond pissed but he never told me the car had no brakes!

Similar story but with only 1 brake in my friend's mom's Camaro. I was driving and it did a 180 when I did a panic stop and still kept going backwards. At some point I had the idea to mash the gas pedal so we were going backwards with 1 locked front brake and doing a burnout at the same time. I'm told it looked cool.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How in the HELL did you navigate British roads in that boat??
Same way I navigate Tahoe lol. I was(not anymore yupeee)a bus driver after all so that wasn't hard. My last coach was 15 meters long-actually longer than the semis we have at my new work.
Once I lost the brakes on a Mercedes city bus-turns up some alternators went and them stupid buses had everything electronic/electric-was just going up slip road-I was lucky no cars waited at the traffic lights. Managed to stop it eventualy with hand brake. It was damn scary.