4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
This is the only picture I got of them atm, they're done in a pretty **** way but they hold up well till I get mesh grille inserts. It's the plug and play chicken light kit from Walmart that I simply spliced the positive to the lows and the negative to ground and they work like a charm
I got the same kit from Walmart as well, lol. Kinda hard finding a place to put them without cutting up the grille. I saw Amazon's got a 4 pack of clip-on lights for the new Taco's, I might buy those and try them out instead.

shaneroze

Reaction score
I got the same kit from Walmart as well, lol. Kinda hard finding a place to put them without cutting up the grille. I saw Amazon's got a 4 pack of clip-on lights for the new Taco's, I might buy those and try them out instead.
I really have mixed feelings, I love the chicken lights on this thing, but I know eventually I'm either going to the mesh insert on the grille I have now, or swap to a 88-93 grille

WV_Dave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three amber lights, in the middle like that, are required by law (maybe not all states?) for vehicles over a certain width. Ford's raptor is the best example of this. It's now become a fad.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three amber lights, in the middle like that, are required by law (maybe not all states?) for vehicles over a certain width. Ford's raptor is the best example of this. It's now become a fad.
Clearance lights are required for vehicles over a certain width, they're usually on the roof and widest parts of the vehicle. It's a Fed DOT reg. Duallys and raptors have them because they're wide, idk why 3/4 tons have em on the roof.
Some folks just like to put em in the grille or wherever.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the OEM GM Brazil reflectors on my K1500 Suburban (manufactured for GM Brazil by Arteb: https://www.arteb.com.br/catalogo/?pa_veiculo=silverado ). These illuminate the road like a European "E-code" reflector.

I actually have two pairs of these, one on the Suburban and another on the shelf as a back-up.

Pictures of one of the reflectors are attached.

The low-beam has a broad horizontal pattern with good visibility into the ditches, with a sharp vertical cut-off to mitigate blinding of oncoming traffic.

The high beam has a very pin-point "spot-light" pattern, so the 4-high mod makes for a great set-up.
You must be registered for see images attach
What is the difference between a 1996 and a 97 model headlight? I'd be interested in those for my 1997 2500. i have Diode Direct LED low beams but with the 4Hi kit. The LEDs are amazing but I'd like a better hi beam too.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What is the difference between a 1996 and a 97 model headlight? I'd be interested in those for my 1997 2500. i have Diode Direct LED low beams but with the 4Hi kit. The LEDs are amazing but I'd like a better hi beam too.
There is no diff between those years other than the W/T grille/single headlight style & the composite style.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'd like to rewire my headlights with relays and add selectable 4-high and selectable driving lights with high-beams.
I drew this up to sort out any issues. Posting it here for review and so folks can tell me I'm doing it wrong.
Let me know if I'm messing something up.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not quite. You'd delete the DRLs and have switches for selectable 4-hi and another switch for driving lights, aka spot lights, that can be turned on when the high beams are on.
If you dip the lights the high beams and driving lights are turned off and the low beams come on.

FWIW, the standard 4-hi setup takes three relays unless you want to run diodes. Adding the driving lights just adds one more relay. Running the switch parallel to the high beam signal wiring allows the driving lights to be dipped along with the high beams.