4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
If the relay got wet, this might cause it to short. Also you need to check if the trigger wire is hot. Is it getting power from somewhere else? As for the stork, well all I can say is be glad. It can always be worse, or you could end like me. My son passed away 2 1/2 years ago, and I will never have Grandchildren. Like I said, it can always be worse.
Sorry for your loss man, can't imagine how hard it would be to lose your own kid. :(

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss man, can't imagine how hard it would be to lose your own kid. :(
Thanks. It is something no one should ever ever have to go through, but it does happen, and He is in a better place. He no longer has to put up with the crap that life dishes out to us every day.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, after getting the truck started ( lights had mysteriously come on and drained the battery ) it seems fine. I had pulled the relay, then reinstalled it..
We shall see. Thanks for the help!

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Digging up this thread from the grave...

Has anyone figured out how to make the 4-Hi headlight upgrade work with DTRL?

I cannot disable DTRL because of safety inspection requirements here in Mass. Some station might pass me, but I'm not driving to dozens of stations just to figure out who does it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I cannot disable DTRL because of safety inspection requirements here in Mass. Some station might pass me, but I'm not driving to dozens of stations just to figure out who does it.
Are Damned Daytime Running Lights (DDRL) actually required? So far as I know, the Feds don't require them. Individual states might--but I haven't heard that any actually do.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have LMC 4-Hi kits installed in both of my '97s and the DRLs still function normally. Not sure why some of the kits say not to use them with DRLs, my guess would be that they'll supply full power to the low beams at all times instead of using PWM to dim them down like the DRLs normally do. I haven't noticed any negative effects like reduced headlight bulb life, though.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are Damned Daytime Running Lights (DDRL) actually required? So far as I know, the Feds don't require them. Individual states might--but I haven't heard that any actually do.
As I said, I live in Mass, its required if your vehicle came originally equipped. Has ZERO to do with Feds, nor did I remotely say such.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have LMC 4-Hi kits installed in both of my '97s and the DRLs still function normally. Not sure why some of the kits say not to use them with DRLs, my guess would be that they'll supply full power to the low beams at all times instead of using PWM to dim them down like the DRLs normally do. I haven't noticed any negative effects like reduced headlight bulb life, though.
Thanks df2x4! Appreciate the info. Glad to see you're still on the forum, hope life's treating you good!

Also, I finally bought a set of the glass Spyders for the "New-to-me GMC".... Seems they improved them a little. I'll have to post about them in the ole thread.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks df2x4! Appreciate the info. Glad to see you're still on the forum, hope life's treating you good!

You're welcome, and likewise! Glad to see you're still around.

I'm curious to see what's changed on the Spyders, definitely post them up when you get a chance.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I havent tried this, but I think this should work. You need to find the out put wire on the DRL box. This will be the wire that ties into the head light low beam wire, so that it comes on at lower level brightness. Snip this wire, and tie this in to a new wire. Fish this new wire through the fire wall, and tie it in to the low beam wire on the other side of the relay. So this wire will be hot by the DRL control module even with the lights off. Just like it would be with out the relay to start with. But being that this new wire, is on the light bulb side of the relay, it wont matter that the relay is on, or not. The new wire will be hot, feed by the DRL just like it was before you added a relay, but will now go around the OE low beam wiring on this new wire. When I did my 4 high mod, I noticed that the DRL would trip the relay I added. So my lights were always on at full power. I thought about doing this to mine, but we dont need DRLs here so I havent done the extra new wire mod.