4-HI Brake Mod w/o circuit boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I was reading this thread on the 4-HI Brake mod w/ stock circuit boards (https://www.gmt400.com/threads/my-4-hi-brake-mod.37778/), but how I would I go about doing this mod w/o circuit boards? He gives the answer, but I am confused on it though. I am going to be doing this mod on this tail light: https://www.amazon.com/USA-211140-C...-----------1&vehicleName=1997+Chevrolet+K1500

The top bulb has one green wire (which I presume is the positive) and a black wire. Wouldn't I tap in the top bulb's positive wire, and then connect it into the middle bulb's positive wire? Or is this mod pretty much impossible with this style of tail light?

You must be registered for see images attach

Been thinking about this mod since I have those 90's style tail light covers on my 98.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I am guessing this is what I have to do to make it work?

Dynamite311

Reaction score
Looking to do the same to mine. After reading the post you linked to, looks like you need to tap into the solid green wire and run it to the empty spot on your upper bulb. If the green/white is for the lower brightness filament (which would just be drls), you need to get to the other filament on the top bulb.
I think doing it the way you have in your pic will have everything on whenever your drls are on or whenever your turn signals/brakes are on.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I am actually running LED's, so I won't have to worry about filaments. ;)

I will check to see if I can somehow wire in to that empty spot on the top socket. What you are saying makes sense, I didn't even think about that with the top bulb being a full brightness all the time if I did it the way I had it in my pic.