4" grinder and finding wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been using this old Makita 4" grinder that I inherited along with some other stuff many years ago. It's worn but still runs fine. However the locknut for the arbor is really worn out and beat up, and I'm missing the skinny wrench that holds the shaft while removing the locknut. Makes it really difficult to change blades. I would just replace the whole thing but it's been reasonably decent and an equivalent new one is about $90.

One other difficulty is finding a good variety/supply of 4" blades. 4.5" seems to be way more common. I guess I'm wondering should I spend a few bucks on small parts for the 4" (locknut, locknut wrench, and skinny wrench for the shaft) or just go ahead and get a new 4.5" grinder...

Any insights?

Thanks,
Richard

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a 2 pack of the Bosch 4" grinders a few years ago. One for zip disks and one for grinding. Saves time switching, were less than $100 up in Canada. Maybe not the best for a 40hr a week gig, but good enough for the garage.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will never regret buying good tools. No matter how little you think you will use them, you will end up using them for everything and end up wishing you got a bigger or better one. And if it's good quality it will last for way longer than the extra cash would have if it had stayed in your pocket.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will never regret buying good tools. No matter how little you think you will use them, you will end up using them for everything and end up wishing you got a bigger or better one. And if it's good quality it will last for way longer than the extra cash would have if it had stayed in your pocket.
Yeah, I'm not really about buying cheap tools, so that's not the concern. Just wondering if I should go ahead and get the 4.5" grinder instead of spending a couple bucks getting parts for the old 4" unit. I think the deciding factor is the 4.5" wheels seem easier to find. This old Makita lasted forever before I got it, so I'm considering sticking with that brand. I don't see the need to go much larger as I don't do a whole lot of grinding but when I do it's usually cut-off work in cramped quarters so one on the small end seems the best choice.

Richard

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another consideration is with the bigger discs you are getting a lot more grinding for a little more cost. As you can only use the small disc down to the body of the grinder that extra 1/2 inch diameter, being a bigger circumference, actually gives you a lot more usable disc.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sod's Law states that if you spend money on the old grinder its motor will fail the following week...
That said, if the parts you are after are cheap, I'd get them and wait until the big failure occurs then get a 4.5'' one. Or, just get the 4.5'' one now and relegate the old one to cramped space duties (without spending anything on it).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a 2 pack of the Bosch 4" grinders a few years ago. One for zip disks and one for grinding. Saves time switching
I agree. You really need two grinders, if not four. Avoid HF's cheapest. It's a fantastically small grinder, but of the three I've bought, only one has survived.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This part?
Ebay also has:

Last edited: