4 door tahoe lowering questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4doorhoe

Reaction score
What helper bag kits will fit my 98 tahoe? I want to run a 5/7 drop on it with 17 inch billets. Any help as far as the rear drop goes would be appreciated. I am aware that I could just go with less of a drop or not do it at all but I want to do a 5/7

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a clean truck.

I posted in your other thread - helper bags aren't going to get you low. I love my 4 door Tahoe, but they are not easy to lower beyond 4 or 5 inches in the rear without ending up with no suspension travel and terrible ride quality.

4doorhoe

Reaction score
That's a clean truck.

I posted in your other thread - helper bags aren't going to get you low. I love my 4 door Tahoe, but they are not easy to lower beyond 4 or 5 inches in the rear without ending up with no suspension travel and terrible ride quality.
My idea of putting helper bags on was to help the ride quality once it got that low if that makes sense? People are telling me that back is going to sag real low because of the weight and I thought maybe helper bags would help improve the ride and give the shocks some help

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My idea of putting helper bags on was to help the ride quality once it got that low if that makes sense? People are telling me that back is going to sag real low because of the weight and I thought maybe helper bags would help improve the ride and give the shocks some help

Lowering the truck just changes the static height, not the stiffness. So if you are towing something, it will sag the same amount from static now and lowered unless you hit the bump stops first. The rear suspension is pretty soft stock, and you need 2-3" of bump travel if you want any kind of ride quality. If you tow a lot, air bags can help keep the ride consistent, but for dialing in the suspension for normal driving, I wouldn't want to rely on bags. Most just don't hold up well. You're better off getting stiffer leaf springs instead.

Air bags will not help the shocks at all. They will alter effective spring rate, but not damping. You'll need good aftermarket shocks either way, and at least in my experience there aren't a lot of good ones to choose from. I went through 3 different sets before getting Ridetech shocks that actually worked well.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a clean truck.

I can back that up daily. I must notch mine before I lose my mind.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 96 4dr has a Belltech flip kit and removed helper bags and McGaughys lowered shocks. Stock shackles, 2" shock extenders. Got 1/2" down before hitting shaved bumpstops so mostly the McGaughys smooth the bounce back up. It sucks. But I know after a notch it will be great.

Dealing with that angled crossmember looks to be blocking my driver's side notch install. My springs are toast from helper bags I'm sure. I removed after one blew and the other is cracked, passenger side due to odd for/aft mounting of shocks and where the bag top mount welds on.

The removed pipe mounting the bags will become the new notch.

Pnut84

Reaction score
What helper bag kits will fit my 98 tahoe? I want to run a 5/7 drop on it with 17 inch billets. Any help as far as the rear drop goes would be appreciated. I am aware that I could just go with less of a drop or not do it at all but I want to do a 5/7

You must be registered for see images attach
Do you have pics of the install of the flip kit And notch?