4.8L Vortec decent idle but NO power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Quick backstory:
Customer Swapped 4.8 vortec to replace 4.3L in a 94 C1500. Brought to me in pieces.

Computer has been flashed all unnecessary stuff removed (including theft)

When you attempt to push throttle no matter if under load or not. Motor does not rev very well and sputters and cuts out. I am leaning towards injectors not firing properly to supply additional fuel.
Before I start tearing into it figured I would ask if anyone had a similar issue and see if it ended up being a wire or connector not allowing computer to properly control fuel or EGR, MAF, or TPS etc?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Here are some things I've found while diagnosing.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
So another update. Truck basically revs up to around 1500RPM then just cuts out and drops back to idle even if you continue to press gas pedal. Feels almost like a rev limiter or fuel cut.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Reaction score
I unplugged EGR and it made no difference: No better or worse literally no change. I repaired the purge valve.

My thoughts:
1. Some issue with EGR or broken EGR
2. Problem with ECM wiring
3. Throttle position sensor
4. Injector(s)
5. Problem with coil packs? (Has new plugs and wires)

Other possibilities? Or thoughts? Any help greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Unplugged throttle position sensor no change so replaced it with a known working one still the same issue.

It's almost as if the computer isnt making adjustments to fuel and or spark when you press throttle. If you hold throttle to flow it revs up 200-300 rpms then just cuts out drops back to idle then repeats

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the customer put a proper fuel pump in there that can handle the higher pressure that the LS engines use?

Is the cal set up for an electronic throttle or something, but physically equipped with a cable throttle? Those are the first things that jump to mind.