4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were you looking at aftermarket lifters? Stock GM lifters are quite reasonable.
Honestly, I don't even remember anymore.

Here's a tid bit for the masses, though: Found this intake in the junkyard. It was FILTHY, but very usable. I ran it through my dunk tank and it came out... well... mediocre at best. I'm going to sand blast it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, see how the thermostat housing bolt holes are all shiny? Yeah, I managed to run the wrong size tap through there somehow. Today is my day off, my brain is NOT plugged in, and leaving the house today was not on my agenda. Unfortunately, it is now because I don't have the right helicoil kit to fix my mistake.

Oh and no one sells the OEM bolts for this heap, either. I'm going to have to sand blast the original hardware, too.

SIGH.............

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the suggestion, but the deed is done. Since my sand blaster was cooperating nicely today (as was the weather) I went ahead and cleaned up the hardware and the thermostat housing. That hardware was NASTY!

Here we are with the intake, after sand blasting and clear coated.

Then this nonsense.

So at least now I have the original hardware. All that remains is for the clear coat to dry.... and a good reference of what goes where so I know where the studs go as opposed to just the bolts.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed! The bolts are not torqued down just yet because, well, I don't know exactly where they all go. I know there's 12 in total, some have studs, and some are shorter.

I did, however, manage to make it to the junkyard just before they closed today. I found a 94 Chevy Conversion van, a 94 K1500, and then another K1500 which I don't know what model year it was - all equipped with the 5.7L. I took a few reference pics. I'll go through them later to see exactly where the bolts go. Just skimming through the pics, however, it looks like I guess correctly at where some bolts go.

Attachments

• intake madness (3).jpg
    intake madness (3).jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 1

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, good news and "meh" news.

The good news is that I found some old pics (dated Sept 19, 2022) that are giving me a very good reference of which intake bolts go where, and also which brackets go where.

The "meh" news, is that I found all of the above brackets, and realized that they should really be sand blasted and not just cleaned up.

Guess what's not cooperating today: Yep, my HF sandblasting cabinet. Can't see a damn thing in the cabinet because the window film is filthy. Can't clean those. Have to replace them. Sooooo, I found a 5-pack on Amazon but it won't be here until after the holiday.

That's ok. I didn't feel like getting all filthy and gritty today anyway.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small, but expensive update. The sandblasting is done and everything is painted and waiting to dry. So, while waiting and contemplating my exhaust options, I went ahead and impulse-purchased these puppies:

I need to find the rest of the exhaust now, lol. It also appears that I need to either run a crossover pipe (which I believe I still have) and sacrifice true dual exhaust, or, relocate the fuel tank to make room for a true dual setup.

Right now, I'm going to keep it simple and just run the crossover pipe.

Also, the jury is still out on what color to paint the engine. It's a toss up between just clear coat (yep), factory black, or a nice shade of red. I don't want people to look under the hood and this ultra-bright-glossy paint jumps out and says HEY! I'm all show and no go!.