4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I posted the 4.3 for almost free. Then offered it for free to by buddy and nephew. They both run that engine in 99 NBS and an S10. Neither were interested.

I don't know anything about boats, just know they are money pits...more so than old Chevy trucks, LOL. My youngest brother did have a boat for a while, I'll ask him if he knows anything about the 4.3 boats...

I did tear down the 4.3 just to take measurements: bearings were worn, and crank needed machining. I did a thread on a 6.0 I was trying to rebuild, but that didn't work out either; I included the V6 teardown as a learning experience since it was just sitting in the back yard, taking micrometer measurements, clearances, etc. It did still run when I pulled it, but it had low oil pressure...if it was dry and could get the darn thing fired up :rolleyes:

...same issue as was posted on the distributor thread as the no-starts when damp. :-( Unfortunately, that was a kick in the nuts for me. Trying to explain to my wife truck didn't start when it was damp and couldn't get get the kids to school...you can imagine. SMH, but I just had to realized I could NOT have that anymore. I hope you understand...if you have kids of your own, you will...

I wish I could of rebuild the 4.3, but just don't have time... crank, pistons, rods, and valvetrain are already gone anyways last month.

And moving on to other projects. I'm stubborn on rebuilding LS 6.0 and I've got a complete 8.1/Ally engine combo that I bought for cheap... Lord have mercy on me!

That's cool on that Astro van you mentioned. Those Astros were pretty cool. My oldest brother had one in the late 90s/early 2000s, an early version. They eventually sold it.

One of my sisters bought a newer one and I think they still have it. They eventually bought a second generation Durango after that. The Astro is their backup. My BIL likes Chevy's, but has moved to Dodge recently because he says he can't afford Chevy's anymore (he bought a Ram 1500 ccsb salvage title because that's all he could afford)..and I honestly can't blame him.

A man has to do what he's got to do..
No harm, no foul.
I do understand! Mine sat like this for several days several years ago. When I discovered my coil was shorting out. Was probably safer in the 4 banger/6speed manual front wheel drive econobox I owned at the time anyway. I just hated to drive it being that it was brand new.

You must be registered for see images attach

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HA! My 4.3 is going STRAIGHT to the landfill. Like I've said before, it's leaking oil like a sieve. No point in trying to fix it when there's bigger and better engines to drop in its place.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I meant the scrappers, sorry. The 4.3l isn't even getting removed until Mr. 350ci is ready to drop in.

This tells me to run the devil out of the V6 until it's toast lol. Something tells me that that won't take very long.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick update here. We (me and my Dad) got this old beast up on the stand and started tearing into it. The first things to go are the A/C compressor, the alternator (looks like it's been underwater), and some other tid bits that I didn't like the look of. Oddly, the serpentine belt was fine.

I'm going to let the rest of these pics speak for themselves. I welcome any replies.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More pics.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Down here we would be curious what bayou that was pulled out of... definitely been around some extended moisture for the aluminum to be that corroded the distributor to be that rusty. Wire brush time!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Down here we would be curious what bayou that was pulled out of... definitely been around some extended moisture for the aluminum to be that corroded the distributor to be that rusty. Wire brush time!
No bayou. The humidity up north has been insane as of late. Nothing is immune to moisture. However, the magnet is cracked in the distributor. A wire brush won't fix that. Time for a new one.
It's a TBI with an oil cooler. Four-bolt mains?

I never thought to look. I check that out and post the result.